Poll: How old were you when first dxed with schizophrenia or schizoaffective?

How do you make a poll?

Nice, good to see it working. I was diagnosed at 14 or 15, somewhere around there.

I was 18, but first got sick at 13

I had symptoms as early as 7 but did not get help until 24

1 Like

My diagnosis has since changed several times but my first was schizophrenia at nearly 18.5.

I posted some info on creating a poll in this thread.

1 Like

Though I was diagnosed at twenty-eight, I feel like my first problems began when I was fifteen. I started getting these really intense anxiety attacks. I would sit in school and be so scared I felt certain that something inside me was going to break. I didn’t think it was possible to be that scared and not do something bad to yourself.

I was 27 when I started experiencing psychotic symptoms and when a doctor first told me he thought I might be developing schizophrenia. I think that my chronic psychosis might have been brought on, at least in part, by a combination of medications I took for my chronic fatigue back in 2007, which might possibly explain the rather late age of onset of my psychosis.

So far a majority seem to be in the 18-24 age range.

I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia at the age of 31. I at least have that similarity to John Nash, who seems to have been diagnosed with the same thing at almost exactly 31. Now, about that Nobel Prize… Just kidding. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I did show signs of schizophrenia/bipolar as a child, as early as 5-7 years of age? My full blown symptoms showed up 2nd year of college? I must have been 19 or 20 years of age

1 Like

I recieved psychiatric treatment for the first time when I was about 26. I was treated for depression, anxiety and alcohol abuse. I abused alcohol for many years after that. I’d say that I was self medicating. I started to become paranoid and psychotic at about age 35. I went untreated for about 7 years and was only diagnosed at age 42.

I was diagnosed when I was 21 but it was a little unusual as I hadn’t experienced any symptoms of psychosis yet just believed I was going crazy. I finally began to actually go crazy when I was almost 24 years old. Back when I believed I was going crazy I was dealing with all kinds of issues but not yet psychotic symptoms…I remember I would see an odd looking shadow and believe I must be hallucinating or hear a garage band playing reggae off in the woods behind my parents house and believe I was hearing things. But in reality there really was a reggae band that practiced there and seeing an odd shadow doesn’t mean you are hallucinating.

It wasn’t until I was just about to turn 24 that my first delusions began to take hold and the thought broadcasting and deluge of “memories” were soon to follow.

1 Like

Not really diagnosed but I was told that it was a high possibility by a psychiatrist, I’m suppose to start getting an official diagnosis here soon.
Given all my problems theres a little chance I won’t be diagnosed with some sort of disorder such as Schizophrenia.
I am 17 right now, in less than a month I’ll be 18

1 Like

i was about 19-20 yrs old i’m 32 now and almost symptom free about 4 years now

1 Like

The negatives slowly started around age 21, paranoia and stuff started around 24, stopped functioning at 25 and diagnosed SZA 6 months later.

Prior to the negatives at 21, I had occasional occurances of possession, mind being read, and heavy interest in psionics as a way to explain it all. Nothing serious until 24 though.

1 Like
  1. Symptomatic since 11. Should read 15. A glitch

What exactly do you mean by “stopped functioning”?

Couldn’t work and stopped taking care of myself (personal hygiene, regular sleep, food, etc…went down the drain.)

I had my first psychotic break at age 16,but didn’t receive treatment until I was 37.

1 Like