Pay and subscription walled articles

Would it be possible to refrain from posting articles behind subscription or pay wall’s?

It’s annoying and means your sharing torment and frustration!

1 Like

I post them sometimes in the covid thread just so people can get the gist of the news. I generally don’t post them on the main forum.

3 Likes

@firemonkey please know that flag is for legal reasons.

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining. I’m a strong believer that access to information shouldn’t be dictated by how well off you are. With the ultra high prices that are charged for articles that is very much the case though. It’s morally indefensible that such companies rake in huge profits, and have an ultra reactionary attitude re the sharing of information. These comments are in no way a criticism of the action taken re my post. I respect the decision . What I can not respect is the behaviour by such companies that leads to forums such as this having to make such decisions.

2 Likes

My friend is a scientist and she’s published several research papers. She said it’s a scarcely known fact that you can just email the scientist that did the research and ask them for a copy of their paper and more often than not they’ll give it to you for free.

Since she told me that I always look for email addresses if I know who wrote the paper I want to read. It’s worked pretty much every time I’ve done it.

1 Like

I’ve tried that. In my case there have been far more non replies than copies of such research papers being sent to me.

2 Likes

It’s more news articles than papers, as I can use my girlfriends library access to get research papers.

1 Like