Covid posts

I’m wondering if most of the covid topics on this site should be treated as equal to religion and political topics here. It seems as though these discussions devolve into a lot of anger amongst people, and some are getting suspended for their ignorance or mistaken beliefs. I agree that it’s a current event, and some covid posts are extremely helpful, but we are a site for people with mental illnesses. I dont know how to resolve a touchy subject. Ideally we could talk about it civilly, but that’s not happening. What should we do?

5 Likes

Keep it to facts and positive news.
We are No experts.

2 Likes

I agree to keep it to facts as well but I do want to bring up that is also hard to do in a constantly evolving world where the science is changing so fast that facts at one minute may not be true another. Does that makes sense or am I off on that?

1 Like

I’m well beyond being civil.

It’s mostly only an issue with 2 posters who get on this site solely for the purpose of mocking people who have been vaccinated and making wild accusations about Covid being a conspiracy of some kind. Very rarely is it an issue with anyone else.

These same posters under your new rules would be suspended for talking about a banned topic anyway because, frankly, they have one track minds and would still bring it up. They don’t contribute to the forum otherwise.

At least that’s my opinion. Thanks for your suggestion though @anon55031185 . Maybe someone else will weigh in.

5 Likes

I just don’t think this site is a good avenue of real information other than mental illness. But you make sense.

I do admit that it can get “heated” sometimes though, so I see your point.

At the very least, I think the main COVID thread should remain focused on news articles, journal articles, and scientific studies. I really appreciate @everhopeful and others posting those articles as they are a good source of factual and scientific information.

To that end, I have moved the main COVID thread from Lounge to News and clarified the thread title.

9 Likes

I understand. Some people get suspended over every topic innocuous or not, because they don’t use or have a filtering system, for sure. I will say I believe a lot of fights have been occurring over covid related statements people are making. The vaxxers are just as passionate as the unvaxxers. I’m not pointing any fingers, but I think some people are really crossing the line with the way in which they speak to each other.

3 Likes

Thank you @Moonbeam

3 Likes

I’m not saying at all the articles are unhelpful, but it seems like many of the covid posts trigger arguments.

1 Like

Yeah, I get your point. It is definitely a hot button topic for a lot of people. Maybe give the other mods some time to weigh in maybe we can come up with some ideas on how better to handle it on the forum. Banning it as a topic outright seems unlikely though.

Edit: Possibly we could try to keep it to one thread though.

1 Like

Yes, I understand. I was just thinking of limiting it in the way you limit politics and religion, etc. I think you do great with that. Believe me, I’m not telling you are doing a terrible job, because you mods do awesome work. I’ve just noticed a general sense of real anger about this topic. And I was just trying to think if there would be a way so that there is less crappy drama you should deal with.

2 Likes

I’m gonna tag the other mods so they don’t miss this thread. @anon4362788 , @Ninjastar , @rogueone

2 Likes

I’m not for treating it like religion, etc, because it’s something that impacts everyone on a daily basis.

A lot of people here have no other safe place to discuss their COVID struggle. And COVID affects mental health, so this is a perfect venue for it.

12 Likes

I apologize for bringing it up then.

I think I may have gotten COVID (omicron?). My friends daughter has omicron COVID, so she’s quarantining, but her mom appears to remain clear,
but who knows… and turns out you can’t get tested,there’s months long wait lists everywhere, and if you turn up infected, they won’t give you the cure unless you’re a kid or the elderly, so you can’t get tested, you can’t get treated, basically the same situation as 1917 pflu epidemic that killed so many except this time the cause of the high death rate is STUPIDITY

1 Like

I missed this conversation. So did the community vote not to talk about it? My comment was erased. It says flagged by the community. I dont know what I said though that caused it to be erased.

Covid is very different from religion and politics, but it seems to have about the same effect on the popular discourse as both. It’s touchy. I’m having a hard time understanding why people would be so resistant to the vaccinations for Covid. The shots have no side effects. They don’t have any effect other than prevent a potentially fatal disease.

1 Like

Social media. No one would have cared prior to dogshiit facebook

1 Like