Night terrors

Does anyone else get these? They’re also called hypogogic hallucinations. It’s when you’ve just woken up, but your brain is still dreaming, so you experience your dreams in a much more realistic way. You’re not able to move or talk at all, because even though you’re conscious, your body is still in sleep mode and doesn’t respond to your commands.

In my case, it’s always my brother breaking into my room and attacking me. And I try to scream and kick, but nothing happens and I’m just frozen. It happened this morning at like 5 AM, and I couldn’t get back to sleep. I’m scared to go to sleep tonight. I took my sleep PRN, but it isn’t doing much for me. So now I’m just lying here, in the dark, looking at memes and trying to distract myself.

I had night terrors growing up as a kid.
I would do a lot of screaming in terror!

2 Likes

How do you calm down afterwards? I used to get them every night, but I haven’t in a long time. I’m going to have to see him at Christmas though, I think that’s why it happened. I’m afraid of having to be around him again.

1 Like

I get those pretty frequently. It’s awful. I can sometimes make out a wimper of a scream which just makes it scarier.

2 Likes

I would talk to my mother or father afterwards but I was a kid.
It’s terrifying!

1 Like

Mr. Star talked to me for a few minutes, but then he had to go to work and I was stuck alone all day. I’m scared of it happening again tonight. He’s next to me, but asleep. He has a test tomorrow, so he can’t stay up and cuddle me.

1 Like

I also remembered that I used to listen to some positive music afterwards to help get my mind off of the event.
Distraction helped.

1 Like

Thanks. Music is a good idea. I’ll try that.

1 Like

Best of luck with everything @Ninjastar!

1 Like

Does your AP help with them at all? I’ve noticed haldol helps with mine.

This article may be helpful (scroll to treatment options):

1 Like

wow I am sorry but I don’t have any ideas about how to stop night terrors…you probably won’t have one again for I would say a very long time…just try to relax…do you take a sleep aid?

1 Like

It doesnt have to be scary. I always try to move around in these states. Its sort of like theres an electrical current holding you down. But if you keep trying you can move around

@Wave wins it with the relaxing music suggestion!!! As thanks, I can change your tag line to anything you want for free!

2 Likes

So no night terrors?

Nope! I was totally fine!

2 Likes

Awesome, I’m glad you got some rest without having those night terrors!

1 Like

Really glad you didn’t have any night terrors @Ninjastar!

1 Like

I’m glad it worked for you @Ninjastar :slightly_smiling_face:

I would like my tag line to say

One step at a time

1 Like

Thanks @Ninjastar!

1 Like