New feature -- Ignore!

You can now ignore other users!

And, no, you can’t put Mods on the “Ignored” list. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

I don’t think this is a good idea. If people start ignoring others it could become cliquey and some people might be excluded.

If you don’t like something, I think it’s more constructive to flag it or support the person by giving alternate view points.

1 Like

It’s part of the latest Discourse forum software update apparently.

can i ignore myself :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :smile:

3 Likes

Wait, so, if someone on your ignored list posts in your topic, it won’t be seen? Will the person still have the option to view it? What if *some* users decide to block anyone who doesn’t confirm their delusions? What if they need answers to something that you have the answers for?

2 Likes

No one else will know if you have a user on your “Ignored” list. All it does is suppress the content of posts for any user you have on the “Ignored” list and only for you.

It’s disruptive to the flow of communication on a forum. I get it’s part of Discourse, but I don’t like it.

I won’t be using it, and I hope others follow the same.

1 Like

I temporarily put you on my Ignored list to test it out and this is what happens. You can still click on the “view 1 hidden reply” to view the hidden post.

1 Like

Also, once you remove the user from the “Ignored” list, all their posts are visible to you again. You can also set the time limit for how long you want to ignore them (up to 4 months max).

Well, some users are persistently sexist or rude, others are a little, well, overbearing in their posting schedule. That said, while I think it’s a positive for some forums (thinking maybe religious/anti-religious, political, purely social), on a forum like this, I think it will create more problems than it solves.

2 Likes

Isn’t it a pretty simple matter to just skip over a post? If you don’t like what a person is saying don’t read it.

1 Like

What if someone who’s persistently problematic, and is, by extension, blocked by many active members, posts for help? Is there a way for mods to go in and force a topic to be shown to everyone?

I doubt this feature will be used by many users, just as the Mute feature is not used by many users and that feature has been around for quite a while.

We have had this feature requested by users on this forum in the past so some users might find it useful.

4 Likes

Mute I didn’t know you could mute

I see a check too, and that’s new.

1 Like

I think its good, its gives members a chance to ignore potentially triggering posts, if a certain person was triggering them all the time (not on purpose) or if there was a clash of personalities then thats a good use, you can then self moderate your own viewing experience.

i have no-one in mind so dont worry lol

3 Likes

Great feature and kudos to the Discourse team for listening to the community. I also have started using this new tool already.

1 Like

Anyone heard from @Moonbeam lately :stuck_out_tongue::rofl:

5 Likes

What about if someone directly posts to u on the public forum is that ignored too

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not a fan of the feature. I’m not going to ignore anybody, I need to work on my social skills and that includes handling disagreements and rejection. Also when some people have people on ignore and others don’t, the thread can get weird because some people are talking without the knowledge of another person’s influence on the thread (they have that person on ignore). The only time I’ve ever used a forum’s ignore feature was to block offensive images from certain users that just bombarded the forum with gross shock image photos.

1 Like