New antipsychotics that don't affect dopamine?

I heard that there are a new line of antipsychotics, ones that are going to be more like SSRIs in terms of side effects where they are less harmful to the brain and affect different parts instead of the SGAs we are using right now. Basically safer.

Can anyone back this up? I just heard about it in a video.

2 Likes

Google

Iti-007
Min-101

1 Like

Nuplazid (Acadia Pharmaceuticals) which contains pimavanserin, is a non-dopaminergic atypical antipsychotic that its manufacturer refers to as a “selective serotonin inverse agonist” or SSIA.

2 Likes

This is promising

2 Likes

Heard that drug is super dangerous

1 Like

If they don’t affect dopamine, how do they work? Dopamine theory is wrong?

I don’t believe in the dopamine theory. I believe SZ is caused by genes and the environment you were raised in or lived in.

4 Likes

Later studies showed it was fairly safe. The thing is, it was being tested on very old, very sick patients (with Parkinson’s ) were at risk of dying. But later trials showed the death rates between placebo/drug was about the same.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s not the sole cause of schizophrenia but antipsychotics that decrease dopamine, decrease psychotic symptoms too. Is this a coincidence?

1 Like

The strategic perspective I think is to edit out the most suspect individual genes through gene editing,
this way curing schizophrenia or producing a noticeable improvement in functioning.

As a side note, I want to tell @twinklestars that there are young patients who are also very sick
and at risk of dying, not just old ones.

2 Likes

@Chess24 the people in the Pimavanserin trials had Parkinson’s which is progressive and fatal.

1 Like

@twinklestars schizophrenia can also cause early death if the case is severe,
and if otherwise(schizophrenia free) the parameters are also bad.

1 Like

I am saying that the reason people in the Parkinson’s trial died is because they had Parkinson’s (which is always fatal) and not (apparently) because of the study drug. At least proven to the satisfaction of the FDA.

1 Like

Chess, this is completely irrelevant. @twinklestars point was that the alleged danger of using the drug was based only on the conflated death risk due to the sample it was tested on, and not on an actually increased risk of death as compared to a placebo.

2 Likes

Another non-dopamine drug in mid-stages is Evenamide.

There are quite a few in early phases.

2 Likes

What I am saying is that definitely the traditional antipsychotics,
like risperidone and olanzapine, can cause early death in vulnerable schizophrenia patients.
Regarding the antipsychotics in the pipeline, I hope they are as safe as possible.

3 Likes

Yes. It’s a very dangerous drug.

1 Like

@Om_Sadasiva not at all. Im just stating my theory of SZ.

I don’t think my schizophrenia is 100% caused by abnormal dopamine. I think some areas of my brain lack dopamine and other areas that might have too much, but I benefit from sarcosine and such, which work on NMDA receptors, right? I take an SNRI for depression I guess too. Vraylar increases dopamine when it’s low and blocks it when it is high. It also works on other stuff which is beyond me. But it’s the only medication where I’m sort of content taking medication. I’ve been compliant on it for over a year. Maybe two years?

1 Like

Is this the medication that I heard can increase IQ by 10 points or am I thinking of another drug? The drug I’m thinking about was discontinued due to stomach problems, IIRC…