My psychiatrist had said I keep feeling sorry for myself and I agree to change

I try to share what works for me. It’s basically deadly serious- schizophrenia can and will take everything from you unless you fight it until you can’t possibly fight it anymore. Medication is like your shield, insight and cognitive strategies are like your sword- or axe and warhammer, lol. I think my weapon against schizophrenia is a kanebo, a samurai weapon which is a bat with metal studs on it. Breaks enemy swords and causes blunt force trauma. Yeah!

@mortimermouse thats a good way to discribe the illness,i think now i had a good shield already,i need a weapon…i cant possibly use my shield to hurt the monster(schizophrenia) i want to be more positive thinking,i know it will take time to change to a more positive habit,thanks for your sharing of what works for you

Just to let you know, recovery was gradual for me. I didn’t become how I am today in one night. I figured things out one at a time. It went like

1. meds
  2. side effects
  3. more meds
  4. therapy
  5. stability in my occupation
  6. consistent diet and exercise
  7. exposure therapy to social situations, like having friends over to my place and dating
  8. repeating the previous steps until they are all perfectly performed.

Now I appear perfectly normal and function more highly than most normal people (I got a letter saying I was on the deans list and invited to the golden key society, which means I am in the upper percentile of my class). I exercise regularly and eat appropriately, I quit smoking a month ago, today marks one month, I handle school without losing my ■■■■ except for finals weeks, finals week I am hanging by a thread, at least I was this past semester as I had two hard classes and 4 finals within 24 hours.

But you are correct in that

If you look at my progress since these forums were created about a year ago, I have made lots of improvement. It takes years to pick up the pieces of a shattered mind. Even with therapy and medication.