My experience with psychiatry

Has been nothing but a huge disappointment and a living nightmare. I can’t say one good thing.

2 Likes

Mine in terms of pdocs, and other mental health workers, who work with patients hasn’t been that good. Too many over the years who have judged without making the effort to listen and get to know me.
If they had bothered to ask and listen they might well have done a better job of helping me.

1 Like

Being given a disgnosis of having a psychotic disorder is just like being told you have HIV. It’s a life sentence of uncertainty. Only difference is will you get full blown AIDS or die from suicide

My experience with psychiatry has been both good and bad. But I’ve found a med that works for me, and so long as I keep taking it, I can minimise my contact with psychiatry.

1 Like

Yea I mean I suppose I should be grateful that I’m not on the street corner somewhere staring into traffic.
But even with the meds that j take there’s no garantee that the psychosis won’t come back.
Not to mention that

But even with the meds that j take there’s no garantee that the psychosis won’t come back.

I used to worry about that a lot. But the longer you go without it happening, the less you worry. I rarely think about it now.

1 Like

I have very bad experiences but i really like my current psychiatrist. He is just a student, but he is honest, listens well, humble and really tries to help. He cant do much to make the whole thing more bearable, but at least he doesnt make it worse.

1 Like

Yes, my strategy too.

2 Likes

I’ve had my fair share of good and bad pdocs. I’ve seen more than 12 and some were after money, one drastically changed my meds so I landed in hospital and another was very rude. But most were very helpful.

My present pdoc is a lovely kind lady who helped me get into hospital when I needed it and explained my diagnosis clearly and she never rushes me asks me if there’s more I want to share. I’m very glad I found her.

1 Like

I’ve had many therapists and a few psychiatrists that I liked personally but I couldn’t really tell if they helped me except in a few ways. I go to see them because since I got sick, seeing these people is what a person with schizophrenia does.

1 Like

I found psychotherapy disconcerting because I expected my therapist to enter into an ego alliance with me, and he didn’t do that. I did get therapy that helped me from this old man who charged $25.00 a session. One thing he told me was that if I ever achieved the kind of success in my writing that I thought I wanted I would totally freak out and not be able to deal with it. I have been finding that it is hard for me to deal with even the little bit of success I have achieved as a writer.

2 Likes

I had a bad experience with a therapist recently. We never actually had a conversation. He just wanted me to talk and he sat and listened. Each session was supposed to be for an hour. I found it really uncomfortable. I felt under pressure to think of things to tell him, but I didn’t really trust him. And he never commented or contributed. Is that normal? I really was just looking for someone to talk to as my pdoc doesn’t have the time to sort through things with me. It has really put me off the whole therapy idea. And I found it really hard to end it as he kept trying to get me to keep going to see him. I think I just didn’t like him on a personal level and the whole thing felt forced.

2 Likes

I think that is the standard model of classical psychotherapy. I think the idea is that the therapist is supposed to be a passive recipient of the patient’s verbiage, until the patient comes to the point that he or she projects all his or her troubles onto the therapist, and catharsis of the patient’s inner conflicts occurs. I don’t know if I explained that very well. It does seem like it can lead to a situation where the patient is just talking to a fence post. I wouldn’t want to pay $150.00 an hour for that.

1 Like

I’m glad I gave it a go, but I don’t think it is for me.

I do hope that a cure will be developed ASAP.
Just a couple of hours ago I cried and shouted that I don’t want to live like this anymore.

2 Likes

I cried and shouted when you got banned.
But seriously I know what you mean.
We need relief from these symptoms and the suffering that this illness causes.
It’s enough already!

1 Like

The medication is sub standard and not a solution.
I’m going to keep beating this issue into the ground until something improves.

I have had good experiences but mostly bad. 3 out of 8 psychiatrist I have had over the years was a positive experience.

1 Like

The meds suck that they use. And they can’t really fix anything other than depression and anxiety and even that is a temporary fix.
It’s a sham science and we’re all slaves to the pharmaceutical companies who really call the shots.

I think that not enough is understood about schizophrenia, the mechanism of the disease is not
clear, and as well not enough is known about how the brain functions in general.
Only when the mechanism of the disease is understood,
and the way the brain works will be fully understood,
we may have to wait until then for better treatments.
The brain is studied intensively, including at Ariel University.
@MeghillaGorilla1

2 Likes