Mi man 29 taized 12 times by police and dies

Heard it on the news tonight. We definitely don’t get the best treatment. His Mom called the police to get him taken to the hospital. The police chief wants the 2 cops fired. Guess they were punching him and dragged him by his hair. Sad.

3 Likes

I really support the cops BUT why is it that they kill someone and only get fired. Why aren’t they getting tried for murder. Or do they never talk about that part in the news.

About 7 years ago my parents called the police because I was unwell and acting erratic. I think I had punched a hole in the wall. When the police officer arrived he immediately drew his firearm at me. I raised my hands and said, “I’m unarmed!” My parents were pretty pissed off. I could have died. Normally the police here aren’t like that but this guy was afraid or something. Here they have a P.E.R.T team, I forgot what it stands for but they’re specialized in dealing with mental health crisis. This is in San Diego, they do a great job and I think every large city should look into that P.E.R.T. police program.

It’s very sad that another mentally ill person was killed by officers who must have been afraid or untrained to deal with mentally ill people.

2 Likes

I support them as well and they are usually in the right. But not this time. I even see some of those videos where there trying to expose the police. And it usually looks like resisting arrest. But the sad part is his Mom called for help. I’m trying to find the story to upload it.

Police are too quick to use tazers because they are considered nonlethal. However if you use it enough or if the person has a heart condition it can kill them.

1 Like

The vast majority of our police officers do an outstanding job protecting and serving the community under often very stressful circumstances. However, there are some bad actors (military term) who engage in excessive force. These type of police officers should not only be fired but prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

I’m going to withhold judgment until all the facts come out in this incident.

3 Likes

I’ll bet they won’t get fired unless it gets to be a bigger story.

1 Like

The police are very jealous about their authority. A sane person should know enough not to challenge the authority of the police. That’s what sets the police off. This one policeman told me that the police practice “pain compliance” on the street. If a person isn’t complying, they rachet up the pain. I do think we want the police to be the most powerful force on the street. We can’t have them being afraid to make arrests. However, they can get carried away with this “pain compliance”, especially with the mentally ill.

1 Like

Especially when the MI are VERY pain tolerant.
I’ve been a recipient of said treatment, with the one bad apple in the whole bunch.
I’ve also had my pdoc call the police on me when I walked out of her office because I disagreed with her, and 4 cops kicked my door in (at my house) and all 4 drew their weapons on me once they entered. I’m surprised they didn’t shoot me when I did the only thing I could think of, I panicked and ran to my office.
All this was because my pdoc reported me as being suicidal.

1 Like

It’s not a good idea to be too defiant about your pain when they police are arresting you. If one form of pain doesn’t work, they’ll try to find another. They might even write in their reports that you were ferociously resisting arrest, and the judge will probably read that when and if you have a trial. The police have a lot of options when they’re arresting you. It’s best just to comply.

1 Like

This is the second story I’ve heard like this. This is why you should never call the cops on a mentally ill person. Maybe an ambulance but not the cops. I’ve had experiences with cops before and they were nice, but if you think the cops are going to view some as hostile your asking for trouble.

2 Likes

But… there is a lack of options - the paramedics won’t chase after you and put you in the ambulance if you refuse to go.

1 Like

That cop lied on his police report. Flat out, fat ass lied.
I did have to go see the judge, but funny thing is, the cop recorded the whole incident, but, as expected, he denied ever recording it.
Took eight months of me insisting, even showed pictures of what the recorder looked like, when suddenly, he did recall recording it.
Then, he realized, he forgot to book the recording into evidence, and surprisingly, it was now lost.
Amazing how the system works isn’t it.
You know what the best part was?
I did comply with everything he requested of me, the tape proved it, but as it’s also noted, you can’t win against a rogue cop.
This incident took 3 years to finally get dismissed, and it was made sure that I knew better than to try to file anything against him.
So, as the MI usually do, I sat there and sucked it up.

3 Likes

We had an incident like that here. Cops, lots of them, literally beat a MI man to death because he was trying car door handles. There was video. He wasn’t resisting, he was begging them to stop. The cops weren’t convicted, but I think some were dismissed.

1 Like

They needed to be convicted.

1 Like

Oh, I agree. There were protests. It was straight up murder.

1 Like

They’ve kept me in jail for months with no charges and no trial. One time they kept me in jail for a month on a public intoxication rap. There have been two times I was kept in jail for two months with no trial and no charges being filed on a carrying a concealed deadly weapon charge. The deadly weapon was a knife. I never got within a hundred yards of anyone with the knife. I’ve seen a lot of guys who were far more likely to use their knives carrying a much more menacing knife not get any flak from the police for carrying their knives. The police can be pretty cavalier in the way they enforce the law.

2 Likes

Yeah it is mostly just a matter of avoiding being noticed.

3 Likes

I got tossed in the psych hospital for stopping at a stop sign too long too, but yeah, that particular cop got busted down to patrol beat. Just because he didn’t book it into evidence, don’t mean the supervisors didn’t listen to it first…then they promptly lost it.

1 Like