Marijuana / Cannabis Directly Linked to Psychosis Relapse

Continuing to smoke cannabis after a first episode of psychosis (FEP) is causally linked to an increased risk for psychosis relapse, new research shows.

Investigators at King’s College London, United Kingdom, note that the study findings indicate that cannabis use is a “risk-modifying factor for relapse, suggesting that discontinuation of cannabis use after the onset of psychosis may help in reducing the risk of relapse.”

“Although it has been proposed that a common genetic liability or reverse casation may underlie the association between continued cannabis use and relapse, our results indicate that change in cannabis use represents a robust risk factor for relapse in patients,” the researchers, led by Sagnik Bhattacharyya, MD, PhD, write.

The findings were published online September 28 in JAMA Psychiatry.

According to the researchers, the relapse rate was highest for individuals who used cannabis continuously after FEP (59.1%), whereas the rate was lowest for those who did not continue cannabis use (28.5%). Among intermittent users, the relapse rate was 36.0%.

Read the full story here:

5 Likes

and pure THC has been shown to cause severe psychosis and CBD has been shown to completely counter that psychosis

Another recent uk study found skunk was far more likely to cause a psychotic episode than hashish. The researches postulated the different thc:cbd ratio may be a factor.

We have to see it…cbd effets are still unknown…big pharma are in a way producing cbd related drugs…!!!

2 Likes

here. pure thc makes her morbidly psychotic but when they give her both she isn’t psychotic and ermmm seems to quite enjoy herself

at the end he says what she scored on the psychosis test

the cbd brought her score from a 14 to a 1. the question is will it work for psychosis not caused by thc? and that found in a patient with schizophrenia

1 Like

Doubtful. How could they make cbd into a 24 hour pill without adding all sorts of chemicals to it. It’s effects don’t last long enough and it’s too unpredictable.

I smoke weed regularly and it helps with my symptoms…don’t believe the hype.

2 Likes

By ‘hype’ you mean ‘scientific research’??

2 Likes

there is just as much good research about pot as there is anti research about pot…this site only focuses on the anti is all I’m sayin.

3 Likes

Likely because it is proven to be detrimental to people who suffer from psychosis and this site is for people who suffer from psychosis or those who care for them. It’s great that weed helps cancer sufferers (proven), but that’s a different audience.

2 Likes

I’d have to agree, with all the PTSD I have accumulated from my illness marijuana seems to help me alot. I don’t mean to say that EVERY schizophrenic should get high by any means, it may not be a good idea. But what I am saying is that I myself, profit mentally by being able to achieve a more peaceful state.

I know alot of people shun my ideas, but you have to remember who I was and what I was doing. I’m probably going to try to get my medical card but it takes alot of paperwork and you can’t tell the VA what you’re using your paperwork for (legal card), because then they’ll refuse to help you since they’re a federal body and think that pot smoking is like killing babies with hot pokers or something.

3 Likes

No - its still very early in the clinical studies on this. Some very small trials have shown some benefit. Please post the evidence you can find for this from the scientific research publications - from http://pubmed.gov

1 Like