Made a beef stew today

The beef was frozen and pre cubed, A’s was the vegetables. I just threw in normal new (baby) potatoes whole. Added stock and barley.

Is lovely

7 Likes

Sounds good @anon94176359! I like to eat stew over rice.

3 Likes

I need to make beef stew sometime, haven’t had/made it in years.

I cut up round steak, coat the pieces in flour, then cook them in oil just until they’re browned on the outside. After I drain the oil I use a packet of beef stew seasoning mix, water of course, and heat it until it’s bubbling, then transfer to a slow cooker. After it cooks for a couple hours I add cut up potatoes (I leave the skins on) and carrots, then near the end I add a bag of frozen peas. It’s so good :yum:.

Damn, this is making me really want some beef stew.

2 Likes

Yeah I like the potatoes with skins on too. Reckon that is the healthiest way to eat potatoes

3 Likes

I always baulk at slow cooker cooking because of the thought of peeling and chopping veg,especially potatoes . It’s something I always wait for my stepdaughter to prepare for me.
Using frozen beef and veg with potatoes in their skin seems like a way round it though.

Tell me @anon94176359 I. Do you brown the beef first ? 2. How much liquid you put in? I always struggle with that and end up with a rather thin gravy that doesn’t have much taste ie is rather watery.

1 Like

I wanted to cook something this week as well and I made chili. I recommend it because it is easy and doesn’t cost much. And I think it is nutritious.

1 Like

I had beef stew today too!

But mine came from a can LOL.

Your beef stew sounds delicious though, @anon94176359! :slight_smile:

1 Like

For me canned meals often have a distinctively odd taste.

2 Likes

The yuckiest potatoes I ever ate were canned potatoes that someone brought for Thanksgiving dinner. I had no idea that canned potatoes were even a thing. Blech!

2 Likes

Yeah, sometimes canned food, especially canned meat can have kind of a weird taste.

Idk if you have canned beef in the U.K. but sometimes food pantries here will hand it out.

I’ve never cooked it myself, but it’s supposed to taste okay if you make tacos out of it.

1 Like

We have canned stewing steak.

1 Like

I’ve had canned potatoes before as I struggle to peel and cut potatoes. Some supermarkets sell ready peeled potatoes but you pay a premium price for them. The supermarket I use now doesn’t have such potatoes though.

2 Likes

I don’t brown the beef at all. Like you I struggle with cutting stuff (don’t have the motivation). The frozen beef and vegetables are pre sliced so I just open the packet and pour them in.

In terms of water I just add enough to cover the meat and veg. No measuring specific amounts or anything

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.