Loud noise

Anyone duck and cover their ears when they hear them. Anyone get that rush of fearful adrenaline.

When I was in LA, I hated when people used motorbikes. It unleashed a fear in me I did not know I had. Same goes for buses stopping. I spent a period of time just plugging my ears. Why do this happen???

Any one get this too :frowning:

1 Like

Here’s a thread about it actually

1 Like

Working with kids with ASD, I’ve been able to understand when they freak out at loud noises. I could help the higher functioning ones rationalize and think through the panic because internally I have the same response. It’s actually physically painful when the fire alarm goes off at school, when sirens pass by, when car horns blast… (I work with very high functioning disabled kids so haven’t dealt with this in a few years) I would tell them to take a deep breath and think: am I being attacked? No, Am I actually physically injured? No, Can I breath through this and be ok? Yes… Anyway, I think people with schizophrenia have a lot in common with people with Autism.

1 Like

I definitely cover my ears. I make Fiancé wait until I am in another room with headphones on before he can vacuum. I have to go down the road to the store before he can mow the lawn.

1 Like

Yes! It is like real pain. When the stupid car or motor cycle engines go off, I react like I’ve been stabbed or hit. It is hard to explain but I can feel it like I can feel music.

Once our school fire alarm went off, and I got up and ran from the classroom. Everyone else just stood there. It was a false alarm, and my teacher said I would be the soul survivor hehe.

I think we do have a lot in common.

3 Likes

I get this - sometimes even people’s voices are concussive, I can feel the vibrations in my skull. In the past, I’ve had to unplug all the electrical cords in my room at night because the sound of electricity flowing from wall to cord was too loud and kept me awake. No one else could hear it.

Also have an out of this world startle reflex. Cars passing me while I’m driving would scare the crap out of me. Before Atenolol, I felt like a rabbit, constantly running and hiding - literally - whenever there was an unexpected noise.

1 Like