Living with negative symptoms

I don’t do much during the day, I can’t seem to get motivated to do anything, I sit and rock in my recliner all day listening to music. I’m emotionally flat and can’t finish anything I start. I just sit and try to keep my mind peaceful. Sometimes I watch TV but even that can be a challenge. They call them negative symptoms, I call them a pain in the ass.

6 Likes

I have bad negative symptoms too. The only thing that helped was dopamine boosters/agonist but they made my psychosis/positive symptoms worse. There is no way out!

3 Likes

I’m gonna try the l-dopa mucana and see what it does for me. If I’m still alive when it arrives in my mailbox that it.

3 Likes

Antidepressants have helped me with my negatives. So have exercising. I would keep on trying ad’s until you find one that works.

4 Likes

It works for me but heard voices when I took too much because its like reducing your meds, it does the opposite of meds that block dopamine. Someone tried it here but didn’t work for him. Adderall and Ritalin are much more effective. Also Abilify, Rexulti, Vraylar are partial dopamine agonists so they boost dopamine a bit, although not as much as Ritalin and Adderall.

3 Likes

I need to try the exercising. Have heard that it can potentially help with negative symptoms. Just scared to go outside.

1 Like

Can you afford to buy an indoor exercise bike so you don’t have to go outside? If the weather is bad that’s what I do.

Are you diagnosed with depression? My Dr refused prescribing me SSRI antidepressants, only tried Wellbutrin which boosts dopamine as he said I don’t have depression and my negative symptoms are from low dopamine. Wellbutrin helped but it made my positive symptoms worse, i thought ppl were insulting me in their mind and I head their minds without them talking.

1 Like

it wouldn’t fit in my tiny apartment. Really wish I did have a treadmill or something. I could buy a few dumbells and find other creative ways to exercise indoors.

2 Likes

Working out would absolutely help with my negative symptoms, but part of my negatives is avolition so getting started/motivated to workout seems impossible. Vicious cycle.

4 Likes

i upped by seroquel to 600mg …Now i dont get psychotic when I do excercise… U could try it out…

1 Like

I was suicidal for a while, but my ad (Wellbutrin) was given for negatives. Here that’s pretty much the standard treatment for negatives: an ad or a stimulant.

1 Like

Oh that was only on Wellbutrin, I stopped the Wellbutrin and don’t have any positive symptoms anymore.

1 Like

Have you noticed working out helping you with your social cognition/ cognition in general? There are studies online saying it does, but I don’t know if to believe those studies

Yea thats why my Dr prescribed me Wellbutrin, for negatives. I think its kinda a stimulant as it boosts dopamine instead of serotonin unlike standard antidepressants, SSRIs.

3 Likes

I haven’t worked out in a long time, so I’m not sure. I imagine it would help a little…

1 Like

Welbutrin has a weird effect on me. To be fair I wasn’t on it too long. I just felt like a crackhead on it.

1 Like

It really does help boost my energy and motivation levels.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.