Live alone with schizophrenia?

What’s it like?
What’s your struggles?
What’s your good?

Curious to see

3 Likes

I live alone.

I was advised against it. But i don’t think I’d do well with a roomie.

I’m lucky and have good neighbors on all sides of me. In fact I had about a 45 minute conversation With one of my neighbors today. I’d struggle if I never got to talk to anyone.

I’m pretty darn healthy tho. So I’d say my struggles are minimal. Well, ive been fighting a cannabis habit since March. So I suppose I’d say there’s nobody to babysit me so I’m kind of free so do as I please. And I’m getting used to that.

2 Likes

I live alone – I prefer it to having a roommate, last one tried Cooking drugs from paint thinner in the middle of the night, he would eat all the food in 2 days, steal my stuff like my Wii for drugs, did not shower, wore my vlothes, would bring trash in from the dumpster — the only real upside to it is having a roommate I could afford a car, then he wanted rides to his dealer …
It was an awful hassle, I would rather be alone with PSR aquaintances than have real friends

4 Likes

Sounds like my friend Jon. He would hassle me for money for drugs and drag trash in from the dumpster. At least we didn’t live together though.

I lived alone for nine years after my son died in 2011. I must have been a bit depressed because I couldn’t get hygiene or housework done. I even slept in my clothes and wore the same clothes for up to a week at a time but, I wasn’t sad.

Ever since I moved into my longtime gf’s house with her, all these things have reversed and me and her are supremely happy now.

4 Likes

I lived alone for a few years during my prodromal phase of sz. I boozed heavily to cope with my symptoms (I didn’t know what was going on at the time). I tend to drink a lot when I’m alone for an extended period of time, so it’s probably best I just live with my folks. But sometimes I wish I did live alone, just for the solitude.

1 Like

It’s okay, as long as you live close to family, and you’re fairly stable, it’ll be okay I think

1 Like

Living in my own place is the best thing that ever happened to me.

I got hospitalised 3 times in the first six months, but after the ‘adjustment period’, I actually have now grown to like my own space, and I can do what the ■■■■ I want when I want how I want.

Struggles, keeping on top of chores is a pain, like ironing clothes and keeping the kitchen clean, but I do alright.

2 Likes

I dread the day this will happen to me, when my mom & pops pass away. No girlfriend, no friends and siblings living far away. It’s gonna be a lonely life for me😪

1 Like

Im not ready to live alone

1 Like

I have to move in with you guys somehow, because I can’t stand it alone. I need a girlfriend or something, because this is like detention.

I was thinking of moving out.

I don’t think I will though.

Seems like it poses more issues for me personally when I think of my network.

It’d make sense more, to rise out of the family home more slowly.

I take it few of the forum posters in this thread are as young as I am,

If I’m still in the home and leave at 26/7 instead of 24/25, it’s really not issue; I guess independence is something to be earned. And whilst I feel like I have earned it. I don’t feel comfortable navigating it.

There’s that, but there’s also other complications which I need to heed as far as things go.

My compelling reason to move is to have my own place to theorise and work on an economics paper I want to do. I just don’t know if it’s possible in the home environment or with the feelings I have for home — eg, I’m fed up and uninspired by it — that needs change, maybe I need to attempt dating or something, spark myself a little.

I live alone and have done for almost 20 years, it is hard sometimes as it can get a bit lonely but overall i am happy enough!

I live alone but I wish I had a roommate or companion.

When I was really sick every time I walked in my apartment my tv would turn on by itself. I swore the neighbors was doing it. While this was happening, one night a knife was thrown across the kitchen… just crazy stuff happening in that apartment.

I finally left the apt for six whole months because I was afraid the neighbors “who was turning on the tv” would do something like electrocute me. I went and stayed at every hotel and hostel I could find. While I was staying at the hostels every where I went a beep would go off. Even if I sit in the park I’d hear a beep. I blamed the neighbors for that to.

Finally I confided in someone who encouraged me to go to a hospital emergency room. I did and realized I was sick that whole time. The neighbors weren’t really doing anything to me.

I still can’t explain the tv and other weird stuff that still happens in this apartment. I’m trying to record a lot of it.

I do wish I had a roommate tho.

3 Likes

I lived alone in an apartment with my cat for a year. It was okay but kind of boring. I didn’t watch tv because of paranoia and didn’t interact with anyone who lived in the complex. My symptoms weren’t any better or worse when i was there. I guess I’m pretty adaptable to different circumstances.

1 Like

No, not another year alone!!! There has to be some way around this. I could have roommates and/or girlfriends easily, if the voices would stop!

I lived alone before my psychotic symptoms started. Well, I say ‘live alone’ but it was a large building with neighbours all close by. I could hear the music my neighbour used to play, and I bought a big speaker to compete with him!

I was the most popular person in the building - someone described me as ‘someone who loves everyone, and everybody loves you’

After hospitalisation, I found my own apartment and this was the real test. My psychosis robbed me off all the normal things like showering and dressing in new clothes every other day. I was a total wreck. Lived off takeaways. Spent all my time alone watching TV (mainly 24hr news channels)

After some time I decided to move back in with my parents (they forgave me for all the ■■■■ they had to put up with when I was ill). Now life is good - I shower every day, change clothes without anyone asking me to or prompting me to do it. It’s great to have the support of my family around me

2 Likes

Its good living alone because i dont bother others.

2 Likes

I can’t and don’t ever want to live alone. I’m already lonely. The prices are astronomical and I have no friends and only 5 family members that know me and I can trust and count on in this world. I rather be alone than be homeless of course, but I rather live in a room and board or a board and care and have a roommate or my own room for sure. I’m not high functioning like some doctors make the quick, poor judgement about me based on my looks and mannerisms.

1 Like

Damn are you haunted maybe? Never heard of something so extreme.