Is it a bad idea to live alone if your schizophrenic affective?

i Don’t drink and have missed my AP meds 3 times in the last 3 years. So those are positive things.

Sometimes I go 3 weeks without anyone to talk to (when my parents go on vacation). And I’m fine then. But I feel like it would be different if you were alone indefinitely.

Experiences? Advice?

I’ve never lived alone but honestly I’d be afraid to.

I’m not always the best at spotting signs of crisis in myself. Perhaps I’m too dependent on other people but cohabitating with others works just fine for me.

I’d definitely feel differently if I weren’t sick, though, I think.

2 Likes

I can’t handle it, I’ve tried a few times. Sooner or later I unravel and everything crumbles down. I’m much safer having people to live with.

1 Like

Who do you live with now?

1 Like

Well I’ve lived alone for nearly 20 years but I’ve now been back at parents house for two month now as I became very depressed and ill from menopause I couldn’t handle it on. My own
I’m hoping to move back to my flat when my sister arrives with her kids near Christmas I will have to move back

1 Like

My family owns a little land, my mother lives in the main house, and I spend a lot of time with her.

My fiancée and I have the guest house.

I’ve got my solitude when I need it and socialization when I want it. They help take care of me.

1 Like

Whe I moved back to my parents @ 29 I was so fried out from being unmedicated schizo for 6 years I hardly knew what was going on.

Is it hard for you to be at your parents now? Or do you find it a good environment for you?

I live with my parents now, but they’re moving to an independent living facility. So once I’m out, I’m on my own for good.

Man, that sounds like a good living situation.

I live in a single family House with my parents who are mid and late 70’s. I have to go to my room to get away, and I can still hear them arguing about stupid ■■■■ when i close my door.

It’s good being here when I was very ill but I’d like to get back to my flat there are some things I miss and I want some independence back my mom is recovering from a foot operation so I’ve been caring for her but I need to go back so my sister coming for three days will be a good opportunity to return

1 Like

I can relate sometimes my parents argue

1 Like

That sucks, other people arguing sets me on edge. Maybe some headphones so you can’t hear them?

2 Likes

I’ve only ever been alone for a few months, it didn’t end well. I like having other people around, but not in my face.

1 Like

To be honest I struggled living alone. I ended up moving back in with my mum for a year. During that time I met my fiancé and we just moved in together.

I wouldn’t want to live alone again. But some people prefer it.

1 Like

İ tried to be live alone.my house become mess inside of 3 months.very challenging thing for sz patients i think.i couldn t do it.

1 Like

I’ve been living by myself for almost a year now. it does get lonely, even though mom and dad live right across the street. but im getting used to it. I think I would prefer to have a responsible roommate so I would have someone around at night.

in some ways it’s good for independence and being responsible. im lucky that I have my own place. and I take pride in my place, fixing it up and decorating. I may sell it and move to eugene, Oregon and then I wouldn’t know a soul. I really need to start being more social, I don’t get much social interaction. I see my nurse, my caseworker, and my pdoc more than my friends it seems.

2 Likes

Like it or not chances are that your parents will outlive you so you need to plan for that eventuality. It’s not a choice. It’s a reality. If you don’t like company much try the apartment route. Otherwise try a multi-person arrangement.

1 Like

I’m sza, bipolar type and I live alone with my cat for half the week, and the other half of the week, I live with my best friend in her house. It’s just her and her dog. It all seems to work out fine.

1 Like

I live in supported housing in a shared house with other people with disabilities. I like the company. I wouldn’t want to live alone as I lack motivation with people so would become a recluse. Here I have to engage with people.

1 Like

I lived alone for one of my two delusional years. I had roommates but we didn’t really talk to one another. My mom visited fairly often and took me into Crisis Care every few months when I was having a breakdown. I think they just couldn’t handle my constant delusions and living with them. It’s quite a miracle I recovered from them to the point where I can live with family again without putting any undue strain on them. I highly prefer it.

I still have memories of 8 years ago before I got sick when I was driving around town at night with a button down and some nice slacks grabbing some late night groceries or picking up someone to see a film with. I kind of went from adult back to child and am now climbing my way back up to functioning adult. It sucks but I’m doing pretty well all things considered I guess.

TLDR: It’s better to live with other people when you have schizoaffective disorder, if they can handle it.

1 Like

I have lived by myself for over a year and I am financially self-sufficient. My parents live 10 minutes away, so that helps. Since I work outside the home, I do interact with my coworkers. I have to force myself to interact with people outside of work, though. I can easily become a hermit.

1 Like