Lithium for Schizophrenia: Can It Help?

I researched that. Apparently it is the lithium carbonate that causes this because you get high doses of lithium. Like more than 100mg of active lithium in one dose of carbonate, that fluctuates in the whole body vs 5mg in orotate that works specifically on the brain.

1 Like

Lithium is illegal here even the orotate. I had to buy it several times until one package didnā€™t get inspected by Canadian border agents. Once they called me and told me to get a prescription from a psychiatrist as its illegal.

1 Like

I bought it from the US iHerb once and once from eBay. I think its the eBay one that didnā€™t get inspected.

Wow. Thatā€™s the first time I heard something being illegal in another country that I can get buy. On the other hand all CBD products are illegal here, you canā€™t even get it on prescription.

1 Like

Weed and CBD are legal here but only if you buy them from the government stores, weed dispensaries called SQDC.

1 Like

Potential Lithium Orotate Benefits & Uses (incl. for Anxiety) - SelfDecode Supplements

According to this, matching lithium and second generation APā€™s like zyprexa might be bad news. But again I think the study refers to lithium carbonate and not orotate.

I used to be overly caffeinated and in a state of poor concentration or maybe hyperactive. It made everything seem overwhelming. I had just gotten new license plates, and just the thought of looking at my license plate, to see what the numbers were, was really bothering me, because I didnā€™t want to process what the numbers were, or try to remember what they are. I, some time around then, asked to use lithium. I took a really low dose. I was then able to look at my license plate, without it bothering me. I also seemed to be more sociable. There were side effects, but donā€™t really remember them. I didnā€™t take it long. There are times, Iā€™d like to try it again.

2 Likes

I take 5mg of lithium every day. I bought two bottles from iherb. They donā€™t do anything at such low dosages.

2 Likes

I also take lithium every day.

1 Like

I was switched from antipsychotics to lithium in 1982. I was on it for the next 20 years. There was a definite improvement. However, given that blood tests showed I went in and out of therapeutic range, it was hard to tell whether that was due to the lithium or having a supportive partner.

3 Likes

Hated lithium I couldnā€™t even drink caffeine without hours and hours of panic attacks. Made me shake uncontrollably at first then did nothing to help. They said theyā€™d only put me on for five months then refused to take me off so I just stopped taking it myself.

1 Like

Itā€™s too bad that many things the pharmaceutical companies canā€™t make money on is very poorly researched.

I have really bad experience with lithium, its the closest i have been to ā€œchemical deathā€ and it gave me hypothyroidism so i have to take replacement hormones the rest of my life.

Lithium is for bipolar people. Not schizos.

3 Likes

I was almost put on thatā€¦but I have heard so much bad stuff that I decided not to take it. Even my dad was supportive in me not being put on Lithiumā€¦it has such a bad ratingā€¦also it can affect your heartā€¦I have considered taking the supplement, but I think the Magnesium that I have OTC is pretty effective for sleep.

Well I tried it today. It might have promoted some calmness. No serious interactions or side effects. Iā€™ve had a couple of pains in my head that lasted for a few seconds which might be attributed to the litium intercating with zyprexa. Still worth for me to check out more unless interaction becomes noteworthy. But Iā€™ll be careful. I took 5mg today. I will wait until the day after tomorrow before I take 5mg again. I am only taking 3.75mg zyprexa at the moment so that will also guard me against serious interactions.

1 Like

Please be extremely careful.

1 Like

No serious interactions, but there have been some small spells of discomfort. I decided I wonā€™t supplement this while on zyprexa, but I might actually want to try to make a switch to litium at some point. Itā€™s supposed to be helpful to get sleep, and thatā€™s exactly what you need when coming off zyprexa. I guess I will discuss this with my doctor in the future.

1 Like