Schizophrenia.com

Left-handed people more likely to have mental disorders like schizophrenia

About 10% of the U.S. population is left-handed.

“a striking of 40% of those with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder are left-handed.”

Webb and his colleagues studied 107 individuals from a public outpatient psychiatric clinic seeking treatment in an urban, low-income community. The research team determined the frequency of left-handedness within the group of patients identified with different types of mental disorders.

That’s much higher than I expected.

They have previously linked left-handedness with all sorts of neurologically unusual characteristics, not just illness. The hypothesis that I read was that left-handedness is associated with a general sort of “unusualness” factor in the brain. So it can be good thing, as well.

I know a lot of creative people are lefty’s. I’m a righty. My sister and mom are both lefty’s. For what it’s worth.

That’s interesting. :open_mouth:
I’m right-handed, though. :smiley:

I may be wrong but I thought there was a greater link between being ambidextrous and schizophrenia.

I’m right handed, but I taugh myself to write and draw with my left hand when I was young.
One of my delusions is that my mean voice Mia is left-handed. Before I got medicines that worked properly, I’d use my left hand as the dominant one if I felt she was taking over.

I am left handed and inclined to art and have had sza since my teens
Guess I’m a typical left hander!

I am right-handed.

I’m a weird ambidexterous. I eat and write with my left hand and do almost everything else right handed. If I need fine control it is the left.

I am ambidextrous as well. I write and eat with my right hand, while I play(ed) tennis and wash dishes with my left hand. I played soccer with my left foot, but hit soft balls with my right hand back. I can do all of these things with either hand, but I fair better at all of them when using my natural hand.

I am left handed and creative myself.