@kindness or anyone, how do you define binary?

The term was used regarding people and I can’t figure out what you meant.

I think it means of two types.

@PinCushion

Non-binary is a term used in relation to gender. People who view their gender as not solely male nor female describe their gender as non-binary.

3 Likes

Hey, @PinCushion, I’m guessing here as to how @kindness used the term, but are you talking about gender binary?

Wikipedia defines it like this:

The gender binary, also referred to as gender binarism (sometimes shortened to just binarism), is the classification of sex and gender into two distinct, opposite and disconnected forms of masculine and feminine. Gender binary is one general type of a gender system.

Someone who experiences things as binary sees strict male and female identities. From what you’ve posted, I think it’s possible that you may be non-binary - that your identity and self-concept is not strictly “female”. You post a lot about how being born a girl has caused you internal and external distress. It’s something you would be able to determine, though, and not anyone else. Just something to consider.

2 Likes

There are 10 types of people in this world those that understand binary and those that don’t.

3 Likes

Thanks@Rhubot, Wikipedia just confused me more but your explanation is clear.! My sexual identity is very confused and scared, true. I will have to learn to consider myself non-binary (better than “sexless” - not quite so defeating).

1 Like

A mathematical joke?

1 Like

I’m glad it helped! The way a lot of us think about gender is like cramming our feet into shoes that don’t fit - as you’ve found, it can really hurt. I think it’s really freeing to not have to punish ourselves for the ways we think we’re “wrong”, and instead just let ourselves be who we are.

5 Likes