Just curious how often people have episodes and or hospitalized?

I’ve had 3 episodes in 16 years hospitalized all three times. Quit taking my meds both times.

1 Like

Ten times in 16 years; they tend to come in bunches, with healthy periods mixed in. First time was in 2000, then 3 times in 2003, twice in 2008, twice in 2009, once in 2012 and once earlier this year. Only half of those were psychosis-related; the other half were for being a little too suicidal. Actually, the one in 2012 was both; I was very suicidal and, though not fully psychotic, I was deep in prodrome, probably not far from decompensating.

3 Likes

I have had 2 or 3 major depressive episodes in the past year. I haven’t had a psychotic episode since the summer before last one though.

Despite this I tend to have ongoing mild depressive and psychotic symptoms at almost all times. It is rare for me to experience no symptoms, except when I was on meds and even then I had some persist at times.

2 Likes

Oops, meant to indicate those are the times I’ve been hospitalized, not just episodes. Too many episodes to count, often running together.

1 Like

that’s a lot. must be quite rough sometimes.

I can only remember one notable episode in my life, where I was sent to the psych ward right afterwards. ever since that episode, I started being more cautious about things including going outside or looking at the people outside. been doing okay.

2 Likes

Yeah, and I was taking my meds all of those times, just not the right meds apparently. Well, I wasn’t taking an antipsychotic when I had my first psychotic break, of course; I was just taking antidepressant medication at that time. Often, though, I can do quite well on a med combination,only to have it no longer work for me after a while. That sucks.

2 Likes

They come and go. I am normal most of the time but get my bad episodes too. I got my first breakdown in Dec 2002 and diagnosed in Mar 2003 with sz. I was relatively sick till 2006, then went into remission for five to six years, where I had little symptoms - actually i never thought i even had sz anymore. Then i relapsed in 2012 and had a few more on and off episodes. I was hospitalised six times in psych hospitals, four times before the remission period, and after the relapse two more times. Also was in emergency room for three days, so it could count as seventh hospitalisation. Most of the times I went into hospital it was because I stopped my meds and got depressed and self harmed and couldn’t function in daily life, couldn’t look after myself or cook for hubby. Now i am on the right meds and feel relatively stable.

1 Like

5 hospital stays after the 3rd committed to therapy. Second last one was the anniversary of a friends suicide. Last one was a med review a reduction in the end and only for a week. All up 2 involuntary stays and 3 voluntary stays

1 Like