Schizophrenia.com

Is this true?

I just read in the sz.com family support forum that parents would rather have their child die than him having schizophrenia. Is that true? Is it easier for parents to have their child die than him having schizophrenia?

1 Like

Who said that ?!

1 Like

I wouldn’t read the family forum if I were you.

4 Likes

“IMHO, the death of a child might be easier
But, to me, the loss of a child to sz seems extremely cruel because we all got to see them ‘before’ it hit. The friends they had. The love. The athletic ability. The hobbies. The passion. Gone.”

Basically he says you can move on and past the death of a child but not if he has sz.

“With a tragic loss of a child, as a parent you experience a marked event, relevant empathy, and stages to move through to find peace.”

I think you’ve misunderstood. They’re saying that it would be easier to grieve.

But yeah. Reading the family forum can be a bit triggering.

2 Likes

I think that’s not right I have 4 children And I would never ever agree with that. if I had to choose between death and schizophrenia I would choose schizophrenia. Life is sacred!

4 Likes

Idk hes saying death might be easier as you grief for a short time and move on but with sz you’re always in grief.

1 Like

I know right, that shocked me.

Don’t read the family forum. Just don’t. I tried to offer help to people there as someone with sz and it was sad the stuff they asked.

Most people there are dealing with family that have severe sz, many untreated, and many trying to get by without meds and using crazy alternative “treatments”. Stuff that would never fly here.

Tbh, i think it isn’t moderated as well and could use better rules.

4 Likes

You’re right, I will stop reading there. I just went there today out of curiosity.

that is sad if it is not moderated…considering the ideas they may be getting :frowning: and so what they may continue doing or thinking

1 Like

I don’t know the mods there. I just saw it’s a darn free for all sometimes. Maybe I’m wrong.

2 Likes

Sounds like kind of a selfish attitude to me. Rather have your child die than have to take care of him/her with schizophrenia. And this just sounds like a pity party:

“And we get the extra bonus of trying to silently and secretly managing the ongoing care of a sz patient which is frightening, exhausting, expensive, and time-consuming.”

Yeah, well try living with sz instead of caring for someone with it. Count your blessings. Sorry, that post made me kind of angry.

2 Likes

It made me angry too. I stopped reading there.

1 Like

You’re not wrong. I used to occasionally look at the family forum and had to stop because it was frankly infuriating to see how unmoderated it was. I haven’t checked it in at least a year so hopefully it has improved since then.

3 Likes

I am skeptical about that. First of all, your sample size is way to large. There is a huge number of parents in the U.S. and they all don’t think the same way. Maybe a few parents believe this to be true, but I really doubt if the majority of parents feel this way.

2 Likes

Yeah I think that user was one of the selfish parents.

2 Likes

I think it’s hard for us to imagine what it’s like to be not the one with sz, saying death is easier is a bit extreme but they literally watch us lose everything. But they probably don’t have experience with how many szers, many on this forum, have recovered and are excelling.

1 Like

I am glad that my parents aren’t selfish like that guy.