Is there any benefit to exercising on olanzapine?

it seems like with the metabolic effects of olanzapine and that i have gained over 170 lbs on it and have a ravenous appetite that exercise would not be very beneficial compared to someone not on the med. i read alot of posts from an old thread that lifting weights and trying to build muscle on olanzapine is also near impossible. i know not everybody has the metabolic side effects and some people dont even gain weight on it but for those that are susceptible to the side effects is there even any point to trying to exercise?

1 Like

it seems everytime i have hope for a med to counteract these effects of olanzapine it ends up not working out. lorcaserin was introduced to the market a few years ago and is a 5ht2c agonist.(5ht2c inverse agonism is showed to cause the weight gain and metabolic effects of olanzapine). it was requested to be removed from the market by the fda because a trial showed an increasee occurence of cancer. lybalvi has been released which is olanzapine + samidorphan (opioid antagonist) but i noticed in studies the percent of difference in weight gain was not very significant in my opinion and there was not weight loss just slightly less gain

I would think based on olanzapines reputation as a heavy weight gaining AP that you are certainly fighting an uphill battle at the very least. If you have gained this much weight, have you ever considered asking your pdoc for a med change? Not telling you what to do, but if you are 170 lbs overweight or so, there are definitely health risks and it might be worth looking into a more weight neutral AP.

Edit: I started to write this post prior to your second post…I see that you got into this a bit in that post.

2 Likes

i tried geodon and lost all my weight from olanzapine. i had full control over how much i eat. but it was not the med for me because i had heart related problems like fainting and painful ra ing palipitations when i took trazodone and geodon together. also since it is a twice a day med when i would take my night dose i would stay up all night and be agitated, then the morning dose would hit me so hard i could barely walk and felt very weak. also i was mentally unstable and would self harm and have bouts of anger/rage.

the only other meds i can think of that are weight neutral are abilify and latuda. i was on abilify for a month and didnt give it much of a chance but i had some anxiety on it. latuda ive never tried because theres no generic and i have fears it may be similar to geodon

1 Like

Who would that be?? As I know, olanzapine doesn’t affect muscle building!

1 Like

ive seen alot of people in this thread whos experience is that it affects muscle building

1 Like

Are there any scientific studies done on olanzapine and muscle building?

I believe @Headspark had similar experiences with Olanzapine having massive impact on weight and exercise not making much difference, if I recall correctly.

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure on the muscle building but I’m pretty sure he said exercising made little difference in his weight gain/loss.

1 Like

That sucks. I was about to buy a gym membership card but now I’m discouraged. Olanzapine is the only med that works for me.

Well, don’t give up based on someone else’s experience. Everyone is different. You never know. It doesn’t hurt to try. Maybe @Headspark will weigh in with his experiences.

2 Likes

I’m really sorry if I discouraged you. Exercising is likely to have a positive impact on your health, even if you don’t lose weight. I was just relating what I have heard about Olanzapine, exercising and weight loss second hand.

Edit: I feel really bad. I’m sure it’s better to exercise than not to. Don’t give up based on others experiences. Maybe you can lose weight with exercise, even if it is an uphill battle. I only know what I have heard from others. To say it is impossible is probably inaccurate.

The dosage may also make a difference. I believe Headspark was on a heavy dose.

1 Like

I’ll try to do some moderate exercise, walks and calisthenics before I buy a gym membership. It’s just that I have severe difficulties losing weight. Losing weight while building muscle is hard. If the meds make it even more difficult then what’s the point!? I dunno??

1 Like

I’m having an impossible time trying to lose weight and gain fitness while on clozapine. I started swimming an hour a day, four days a week, and increasing my steps, too. I really haven’t seen any noticeable change in my body…but the days I do exercise I feel better mentally and fall asleep more readily at night, so even if I haven’t lost fat or gained muscle I feel better when I exercise.

1 Like

I gained 60 lbs in 120 days on olanzapine. I found that I could do plyometrics on olanzapine. It kept me from completely falling apart.

@Speedy

You recalled correctly! lol

It didn’t matter how much or how little I exercised. It didn’t matter what I ate, how much or how little. I kept gaining weight and plateaued at 240lbs.

When I started reducing my dosage (I was on 40mg) I started to lose weight. When I quit I lost more weight. Again, I didn’t have to exercise or change my diet, the weight melted away on its own.

Olanzapine is a nasty drug for weight gain…at least it was for me, and I know for many others.

There are others on this forum that are on a much smaller dose than I was , like 2.5mg or 5mg and they gained weight.

3 Likes

what med are you on now and how are things going with your weight?

2 Likes

I’m on 60mg of Lurasidone(Latuda) now and doing way better, thanks for asking!

I’ve lost 80lbs total. I’m now 160lbs ± a few pounds. My height is 5’9 so that is a healthy weight for my height according to the BMI.

My last dose of olanzapine was a little over 9 months ago.

3 Likes

I take 15mg Olanzapin for over 15 years and have no weight problems: 85 kg.

1 Like

Can I ask what symptoms it helps with? I would like to talk to my doctor about getting on it, but I don’t know if this is the one they use after they’ve tried all others

1 Like