Is it true that schizophrenia alters the personality of the patient beyond the fact that he is not in a psychotic state?

That is, if the person who has psychosis or a similar illness is not taking the medication. If that person does not have a psychotic break, there is no “psychic wear and tear”

I’m sorry but I don’t understand what you’re saying

1 Like

Mental illness could alter your personality depending on your symptoms.

3 Likes

I don’t think it changes your personality as much as it limits your ability to express it.

3 Likes

I agree, i think when i was myself, i wasnt psychotic but when i was psyhcotic i become a lot more expressive but also ill.

1 Like

My personality changed for the worse when I got schizophrenia and was unmedicated. I went two years before I started taking meds then I’d quit taking my meds because I’d feel better and think I didn’t need them anymore then end up back in the psych ward. Did that for years until I finally figured out I need meds so I asked my psychiatrist to put me on an injection and only had to go back to the psych ward once after that and I eventually got better. Life without meds was hell. I was always angry and kept breaking things.

2 Likes

It alters the frontal lobe so yes.

2 Likes

So, even though I’m not having a psychotic break, does schizophrenia continue to deteriorate me?

Schizophrenia is not a neurodegenerative disorder. There might be a deterioration in the first years of the illness but it definitely stops. At least, this is what I know.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.