Is it okay not to be career oriented as such?

I had been quite ambitious academically but I can’t think of a career I would like.

My current career isn’t something that I really like, but I’m apparently doing it very well. Which surprised me. This is the first time I’ve had this much of a disconnect between what I do and what I like doing in terms of a professional career. I’m doing it because I’m income-oriented – I like having toys and savings. Poverty sucks eggs.

1 Like

Many people have childhood thoughts of what they want to be when they grow up even if it doesn’t actually pan out that way . I never did though. At 16 at school we saw the careers adviser at school(a teacher who’d been appointed to the role) . All I could think of was librarian because at the time I liked reading. The fact that I would have sucked at it due to severe social anxiety and poor social interaction skills never crossed my mind.

1 Like

I loved school. If I could just go to school the rest of my life and not work, I’d be happy.

1 Like

I am not particularly career orientated. But I like going out there and doing a job and getting things done. A lot of people have career goals. Mine is to be working… no matter what I am doing I want to be working… It gives me satisfaction and confidence…

1 Like