I can't decide; the sequel

Lots of people have told me to try graphic design again, as a career (I have a diploma in it, and many years trying to do it and failing), but I don’t want to go into that again. Looking back, I turned to art as a child, as a way to escape. I didn’t question whether I really wanted to do it. I didn’t mind that it was boring…it got me respect from others. Everyone else gave me compliments all the time, and they all just assumed I’d do something related to art. In high school, people asked to see my art book all the time. What an ego feeding!

Part of me didn’t want to disappoint them by quitting. I got to the point where I can paint fairly realistic fantasy/sci fi art work without much reference. But it isn’t what I want to do either. Besides, only a handful of the cream-of-the-crop artists get hired by people like Blizzard. I wanted to be a pro athlete, in my late teens, but it was too late at that point. It’s interesting just how fast I dropped the art when I found something more rewarding.

My problem is that I still have no idea what I want to do. I’m behind in social skills because of the escapism that I did throughout my child and teen years (and into my 20s and 30s). I think I might be a damaged extrovert. All my hobbies, like crochet and knitting, go for far less than what they’re worth. I don’t even want to bother with Etsy. I wonder: When did getting lots of money become important to me? I don’t consider myself greedy, and yet it’s so important. Anyway, it was good to write all this down. I’ll keep thinking on it.

Money is important! We need it for absolutely everything. Giving back what you can afford to give is something that brings me great joy, but might not apply to you.

I think a great tactic to finding what you want to do, is to simply starting learning about anything and everything! You might read 20 books that you find you have no interest in, but at least you’ve crossed those off you’re list and have gained knowledge that may cross over into other careers you’re more passionate about :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very good advice. Thanks for commenting. :slight_smile: I like reading so maybe I need to try a wider variety of books to find something. I knit neck-warmers and scarves for charity.

1 Like

I got a degree in filmmaking. Quickly, I realized that turning my favorite hobby into a career sucked all the enjoyment out of it. There were also a large number of problems systemic in the industry, but my main issue was that, once i had deadlines and expectations, i lost all the passion I had when i was a silly teenager with my first video camera.

That’s understandable. It’s hard to do something we don’t enjoy. I hope it’s still a fun hobby for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t done it in a long time. I should get back into it. Both my kids have an interest.

As far as careers go, I have learned that it matters more who I work with than what I do. I have done awful jobs with an amazing team, and easy jobs with a backstabby team. I would always rather work with a good team.

There are also different types of stress atdifferent jobs. I prefer the type of stress where you have to take time to solve puzzles that are difficult to solve than the type where you have to make a rapid, instinctual decision.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.