Is it a fib that schizophrenics die younger considering john nash got to 86

is there hope for us schizophrenics…before this I thought 80 would be a hard ask

1 Like

Nash most likely wasnt indulging in alcohol and cigarettes. He had support from his wife, who probably kept him from reckless behaviour. And according to the movie he didnt take medicines.

3 Likes

Depends on the individual and how they are feeling.

At my worst I would

• Smoke a lot
  • Eat fast food almost daily
  • Drink a lot sometimes
  • Spend all day indoors with no exercise avoiding all social contact

I have since given up smoking, eat healthier, hardly drink and go to the gym and do some cardio stuff. It is more uncomfortable being in public when I am not well, so it is easier to fall into a more unhealthy lifestyle. If however you can stay motivated and fairly happy, then you will live longer,

2 Likes

This could be key to his long life - I hate to say it

2 Likes

Part of the reason he might have lived so long was money. I’m assuming he lived comfortably, was out and about and traveled extensively instead of being sedentary, got top medical care and treatment including preventive medical procedures. I once saw a poll that said the happiest people were married men, followed by single women, followed by married women and single men are the unhappiest.Of course this is just conjecture on my part.

3 Likes

Well, I’d be dead probably if it wasn’t for meds. So, every day’s a bit of a bonus for me.

Must have been a misdiagnosis.

1 Like

Also he was never homeless before that I’m aware of.

There will always be exceptions to general rules.

2 Likes

Well he had some money from the book and movie and support of his wife. Maybe he saved some up when he was paid to work. He lived in a nice house.

Contrast this with those that die penniless, live in the street and do drugs to self medicate.

Wowwwwwww
He just died in a car crash.

It’s not a fib, it’s a statistic.

Statistically if John Nash lived that long, someone else killed themself at 40. That’s why the average age is low.

1 Like

I’d be willing to bet that if you eat healthy, don’t smoke, and exercise you can counteract a lot of the detrimental effects of anti-psychotic medication.

1 Like

I don’t think he smoked or drank or even stayed on med long.