Is anyone like this?

I’ve recently been practicing my concentration but watching movies off Netflix.

I tend to watch about 20 mins of a movie, then skip to another movie. I do this about 6 times a day. I’m watching potions of movies.

Anyone else like this? Is this a sign of ADHD?

1 Like

maybe. I can sit thru an hour long documentary on PBS, that’s about all I watch.

I haven’t been to the movie theater in years. Hoodwinked.

1 Like

That’s a sign of a concentration problem it could be sz related or adhd related. There’s a lot of overlap. It could also be a sign of depression, if activities you used to enjoy aren’t holding your interest anymore.

2 Likes

I enjoy watching movies, it’s just my mind is constantly thinking and my concentration isnt that great.

1 Like

My concentration isn’t great either. I’ll start to watch something and then realise that I drifted off ages ago and have no idea whats’ going on in the film or program. I just put TV on as background noise.

2 Likes

I can’t watch a whole movie anymore. The longest movie I watched last time was an hour, while the movie was like one and a half hour. And that was the longest time since months that I’ve watched a movie on netflix. I let Tv or YouTube run mostly for background noise. It’s so much pressure to watch an entire movie for me.

And I can’t decide for a movie on netflix. I need a really long time and get overwhelmed. I avoid watching movies so I watch documentaries or walking videos either Tv or YouTube. Don’t need to stare at these.

2 Likes

I can’t sit through a movie, no concentration. And like @PlateOfBiscuits and @Vuldarz the tv is primarily background noise for me and that’s if I even bother to put it on.

3 Likes

I often let YouTube run for background noise also. I can’t usually even stay awake when I sit down to watch a film.

1 Like

I don’t necessarily think it has anything to do with ADHD. I struggle to give movies my full attention too, which is why i rarely watch any. I have to really feel like watching a movie to see it through to the end.

1 Like

I do this a lot as well. I will watch movies in segments, like one movie I’ll watch for 20 minutes then come back later and watch another 20 minutes of it.

Theres a movie coming out on Netflix that is supposedly amazing, and its 3 and a half hours long. That one will take me a week to get through lol.

2 Likes

Just struggled to watch a tv programme. Manages about 90 seconds worth.

1 Like

I don’t watch Netflix becouse I am bored of movies. I don’t see any use of them :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I have trouble concentrating on a movie. I always have the subtitles on, even though it’s in English & my first language is English, because I can’t concentrate well enough to follow the dialogue. I tend to watch 1/2 hour TV shows. If it’s longer than 1/2 hour I flit between movies or shows a bit at a time like you said. It’s the same with books, I can’t concentrate long when reading, at the moment I flit between a hard-copy novel and an ebook novel on my phone.

For me, I think it’s due to having imaginary conversations in my head almost the whole time. But my pdoc thought it might be ADHD and that he could medicate it so I can concentrate better.

1 Like

I can’t concentrate on long videos because my head has immense distracting pressure in it. I have to concentrate otherwise I get “secret messages” during my lapses of concentration. It’s a dumb system that I need to break out of, which is only possible if I heal my brain with a good regimen of some sort.

1 Like

Dopamine is involved with attention. This can be seen from the fact that ADHD medications work to stimulate dopamine. Our antipsychotics lower dopamine. so therefore we get ADHD like effects, at least some of us…I know I do as well.

source:
this is from Wikipedia
Some of the most effective therapeutic agents for ADHD are psychostimulants such as methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta) and amphetamine (Adderall, Dexedrine), drugs that increase both dopamine and norepinephrine levels in the brain.[

2 Likes

I can watch a whole movie but I take a brwak every 30 minutes or so. It’s a concentration issue with me.

1 Like

Yeah I have really bad ADHD or it may be related to schizophrenia. The show or movie has to be really good for me to watch more than a half hour. I’m the same way with books. I can read maybe 30 pages then my mind drifts. I day dream a lot and have conversations with myself which also make it hard to concentrate

Right after psychosis I couldnt watch a whole movie but my concentration improved and dont have any issues at all now.-

1 Like

I find it so hard to follow tv and movies. I try really hard though and am working to improve this.

I think my problems are partly bad concentration but also losing interest/pleasure from movies

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.