Is anyone else on 5mg Abilify for schizophrenia?

Do you find that it makes you have a flat affect? Or is that the illness?

i wasn’t on it long enough to find out tbh. it made me so nervous and paranoid that i had to stop it.

1 Like

Yeah it does give me anxiety and i constantly worry unlike before I took it, it drives me up the wall…

I was on Abilify for a long time - It didn’t help me and it gave me worsening paranoia and anxiety, I was on low to high doses and everything in between, I was very flat on Abilify

2 Likes

I was on 10mg of Abilify but it did not get rid of the voices like my injection of Invega. Couldn’t get the Invega after I got insurance because I couldn’t afford it. So I tried loxapine 5mg with the Abilify and it kept the voices at bay. Now I gave up the Abilify because the Dr.office can’t give me samples anymore and my insurance won;t let me afford it either but I am doing well for a week or so on just the low dose of loxapine.

2 Likes

My brother was on abilify for bipolar disorder with psychotic features and he said he felt like a zombie on it.

1 Like

I am on 5mg abilify and 15mg mirtazapine,there will be once a week where I will be down…but the meds control most of my symptoms.Like a normal person,I am uncertain if my future and cannot see my long term goal,now I just hope to do better in work,family relationship and hopefully I can make a girlfriend if possible…but short term as of now,it’s hard for me to make girlfriend

I am 24 year old this year

1 Like

Yes I was on abilify 5mg for a while for Schizofrenoform, which in 2/3 cases turns into schizophrenia.

I was on 10mg for a few years and it worked well too.

Now I am on 2.5mg for a week, still doing well

Main side effect cognitive function is slightly impaired.

1 Like

I am on Zyprexa and Seroquel and these work very well, I have also started drinking tea instead of coffee and my sleep has become better, I like to wake up in the mornings from this deep sleep, the excellent sleep makes all the difference in the world. Some brands of tea I like with some honey:

Lord Nelson’s Waldbeere, fruits of the forest
Lipton’s Russian Earl Grey
Lipton’s African Rooibos

2 Likes

This is weird. The med itself can mimic symptoms of mental illness so how are they supposed to tell what is meds and what is the illness?

1 Like

I’m currently taking 5 mg of Abilify for what’s probably either schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder, mainly because taking both other antipsychotics and higher doses of Abilify has led to unacceptable increases in some of my symptoms. At this dose of Abilify, which I would say I can tolerate, I do experience feelings of mental dulling or blunting. I can definitely see how some might describe these feelings as being comparable with having a flat affect, although I don’t think I can say for sure whether or not the “flat affect” term is an accurate way of describing what I feel on Abilify. But even if saying that I have a flat affect isn’t the best way to describe what I feel on Abilify, I think that it’s at least pretty close.

As a person who experiences cognitive problems as part of my illness, taking a medication that seems to cause feelings of dullness and blunting is frustrating. But right now, it seems to be the best way to keep my “positive” symptoms under control.

shadow

1 Like

This is so true ish :smile:

1 Like

I was on Abilify5mg for 11 years and it worked great for me then surprisingly it stopped working and I started having issues with it like severe depression and Anger frustration and some sadness then my Doctor put me on a new med called Latuda40mg I have only been on it for a few weeks and so far no side effects that I notice and my weight is staying neutral staying the same. I also had to stop taking Abilify5mg even at a low dose because it was terrible for weight gain that was the only side effect I experienced and seem to always experience on Psych drugs. So I am taking a chance with Latuda40mg and Hoping for the best and that I don’t have that side effect or any side effects at all would be nice. So far so good but only into it two and a half weeks will post again in two more weeks a total of 4 and a half weeks then I should know by then if I have any side effects from it. I also take Lexapro20mg with no side effects at all that I am aware of have been taking it fro 11 years or better.

1 Like

I started taking 5mg Abilify in the morning and well the first day I took it I couldn’t sleep that night so I stopped it(I am still taking invega sustenna), next time I go see the pdoc he will make adjustments… hopefully I can stay on this med and not have sleep problems…

1 Like

Latuda40mg just like Abilify5mg is free for me I don’t have to pay for any of my meds. Luckily I have Insurance that covers the cost if I didn’t I would have to go without my meds Because I wouldn’t be able to afford them they are that expensive @Erratica

1 Like

Wow 11 years? I know this is a silly question but do you have schizophrenia?

I AM so sick of Abilify. It makes me dumb as ■■■■. Thankfully I FINALLY get an appointment after months of not being able to schedule and my NEW psychiatrist isn’t going to be in the office three days before my ■■■■■■■ appointment. I’ve been on Abilify for ■■■■■■■ years and I’m so sick of this ■■■■. All I want to do right now IS ■■■■■■■ DIE. I can’t read, can’t think, I’m doubting I ever had schizophrenia because the medications ■■■■■■ me up severely. I’m so done. I can’t get off it. I’m dependent on ONE MEDICATION AND THAT IS ABILIFY. I cant get off it!!! I’ve tried all sorts of meds but I’m scared because ABILIFY altered my personality and changed me. I will freak out and have anxiety attacks without it. I will be in pain and aggitation for months and then go into withdrawal and never be normal again. I’m AMBIVILANT. I CANT MAKE UP MY MIND ABOUT ANYTHING. Im angry and repressed and upset and tired and upset and all I want to do is mask my problems and escape this living hell I am living.

1 Like

I can’t feel anything.

Oh dear can I ask what dose you are on? I can’t say I feel the same way but I do not like taking it for other reasons like blurred vision.