Introduction

The way you choose to live with your illness is up to you. Recovery is for everybody. The best thing about it is that you define what it means to you as you go along. You have to want what is best for you. Most importantly you have to do what is best for you. There is no limit as to how far you can recover. Recovery is creating a cure for yourself. Your way of life. I used to relapse consistently until I found out about recovery. Its taking a bad situation and making it better. It involves help from the right people. But particularly the mind set that prevents yourself from ever going backwards. Saying no to the woes that entails mental illness. They said SZ is a treatable disease, you choose how treatable it can be.

8 Likes

Very well said Lesterwayne!

1 Like

Thank you I am just trying to provide nice advice like you.

1 Like

I am at the mercy of my medications - which medications Im taking will determine how functioning I will become, how with it I will become. Its not so much therapy, and willpower has very little to do with it, its all about balancing an unbalanced mind through chemical intervention - meds. I choose to take meds on a regular basis, I choose not to dabble with drugs or alcohol - the rest is up to the meds and how effective they are. Its all about medication

2 Likes

Even though a person in recovery is following their med regimen there will be bad days. Poor nutrition contributes to that.

1 Like

With this illness there will be good days and bad days - this is why I struggle with the term “recovery”. It is a very fluctuating type illness. I can tell you that exercise, therapy, nutrition, social activities are important, but without the right medication none of these would be possible

Well you hold a very valid point. Medicine is top dog. Recovery however is stability day to day with minimal fluctuations for years. Almost as if I could put it this way. Have you ever felt bored because you medication is working so well? Then you are in a state of recovery. No voices to entertain. Just good well being. Thanks.

Everyone and their Uncle who is diagnosed with schizophrenia claims to be recovered. I do not consider my self recovered, because I am not free of the symptoms on a daily basis - the illness is always there, there is no cure from SZ. One can proclaim “recovered” if they show no signs of symptoms - zero, and with SZ this is virtually impossible

2 Likes

Ok I agree SZ is a disease we don’t have a cure for. Recovery is one of those words that have multiple meanings. But do you admit you are in normal health? If so you are recovered. There are those people with SZ that did not have any criterion of it until they found out later in life. What do you call that time before SZ? Normal Health? To return to a normal state after a period of difficulty means you are recovered.

1 Like

Well Lester, I would not say I’ve recovered, but I am doing better than lets say 3 years ago or so. Call it remission maybe to some degree. But I do see your point as well

1 Like