In Scotland we make porridge with water and salt. For the North American’s: how do you make your oatmeal?

Not milk and sugar.

I don’t know the difference between porridge and oatmeal - but how do you make your oatmeal?

2 Likes

Flavored oatmeal made with milk. Some toast on the side.

1 Like

I typically dont eat oatmeal but my dad makes it with honey and adds in a bunch of raisins.

3 Likes

I am European. I make my oatmeal with sweetener and hot water. But only so much water that it is a porridge in the end.

1 Like
3 Likes

Good article. Thanks @firemonkey

We didn’t have oatmeal but used to have different kinds porridges made of rice with some salt.

2 Likes

I eat the same as @GEDchill: flavored oatmeal (strawberry or peach) with milk. I make mine a little soupy. I used to add sugar, but I’m trying not to since reading @Leaf’s post about her nutritionist visit.

2 Likes

I use Quaker Old Fashioned oatmeal and cook it with water for 3 minutes in the microwave. Then, I sprinkle it with a handful of raisins, and a few shakes of cinnamon, and then put in two tablespoons of white table sugar and pour a cup and a half of milk over it, stir it up and enjoy. Absolutely delicious!!!

I think that instant, flavored oatmeal tastes just terrible by comparison. I live in the U.S.

2 Likes

I used to love porridge with water, then add chopped banana n sweet cinnamon

1 Like

I get boxes of oatmeal from the food pantries so I keep them in a plastic bag. But usually I make it with water or milk in flavored oatmeal.

1 Like

Honey, sugar, milk, cinnamon.

1 Like

Instant? Because I keep reading bad things about it.

Regular is great for you though, lots of fiber and a few other good things.

1 Like

I use water for my oatmeal. Damn, it seems like I’m the only who puts butter in it! I also use brown sugar; if I’m out of brown than I’ll use white. I used to put raisins in mine but raisins are expensive.

3 Likes

Skim milk, and a shot of sugar free raspberry syrup

1 Like

I boil water with a dash of salt and add the oats turn down heat to half. Cook for about 5 minutes. Brown sugar and a dash of milk. Sometimes I use maple syrup.

1 Like

Milk, butter, and salt.

2 Likes

I haven’t had oatmeal in a long time, but I use milk (to make it kinda soupy) then add brown sugar. Very good.

1 Like

Honey, milk, and butter

1 Like

I am in Europe, but oatmeal with water and little sugar.

2 Likes