I'm trying to stop taking Risperdal while I continue taking Geodon

I am trying to stop taking Risperdal (2mg) because of the extra-pyramidal side effects (muscle stiffness - with cold in the joints sometimes in the morning) and due to the loss of libido. I am using Akineton to control these side effects but it seems to me that only 2mg of Akineton has not been enough and yesterday I took 4mg and got a little more relief.

I am currently taking Geodon (80mg x2) and Klonopin (2mg)

I am thinking of reducing the medication at a rate of 10% every time, but my question to you of the forum would be how much in how much time can I decrease another 10% and how can I divide the tablet into 10 parts? And I take only one tablet of it. Do you have any other suggestions on how to reduce Risperdal? I’ve been taking it roughly since 08/2016, I think, that is, it’s already 8-9 months.

I tried to stop taking it all at once (as my shrink said - which I do not understand because I see everyone talking that it can not be cold turkey), for about 5-6 times I tried and felt withdrawal symptoms.

So guys, what can I do?

(Sorry for any grammatical errors)

Talk to your doctor and work out a plan to slowly wean yourself off risperidone. When I went off amitriptyline, I reduced by 10% every two weeks, but the withdrawal was still hell.

2 Likes

And you can get your doctor to prescribe you smaller doses while you wean yourself off.

2 Likes

@ninjastar ,

I do not know if my psychiatrist would want to prescribe a smaller dosage and I do not know if it is available for free here or even to buy this dose in my country.

I was thinking of using a tablet cutter or even a knife if I could cut it.

Two weeks for every 10% would be recommendable if I’m already 8-9 months taking Risperdal?

I can’t recommend anything. I’m not a doctor and I don’t know anything about risperidone.

1 Like

@ninjastar ,

Ok. Thank you.

This is not medical advice. But if you need to divide a dose and can’t get a smaller pill, you can use a mortar and pestle to grind the pills, and then a razor or knife to divide the dose.

1 Like

@twinklestars ,

Thanks for your help.
I will let you and the forum know about my progress.

1 Like

Definitely ask your doctor to wean you off. And add extra appointments so they can monitor your progress during a med switch.

1 Like

Only get off of AP’s with the help of your pdoc.
Do not attempt it on your own!

1 Like

I don’t disagree, but OP said p-doc was OK with cold turkey!

The OP should consider seeing a different pdoc

2 Likes