I'm trying to get use to black coffee

I’m trying to get use to black coffee and cut back on my sugar intake by cutting out cake, candy, cookies, sugar, creamer, and any other sugary things I can think of and eat a lot of greens and lots of meat so I’m trying to also lose weight so I’m counting calories

10 Likes

Good luck with it! Hope it goes well

2 Likes

Good luck! (I’ve stopped putting sugar in my coffee.)

2 Likes

I never did put sugar in my coffee. But, I still eat a lot of sugar regardless. I don’t drink pop or juices at all. But, I put a lot of sugar in my cereal and I eat a lot of cookies and I eat a lot of sweetened yogurt too. I’m really addicted to sugar.

1 Like

@SkinnyMe so am I.
@Jayster thanks I hope I get use to it
@Joker thanks

I have a large coffee with cream and sugar every morning. I count calories though and just count it as my breakfast, even though it probably isn’t the healthiest breakfast

1 Like

@Air I wish you luck on counting calories while still having sugar in coffee I’m trying to cut out all sugar

1 Like

In my country, black coffee is called Kopi O.
Black coffee is tasty too but if you want milk coffee, then consider less sugar.

1 Like

@Norlane I’m cutting out the creamer too since powder creamer has sugar

1 Like

Sounds like a plan!
Good luck with everything!

Well done @Twialine, good on you. I’m doing the same. I cut sugar out of my coffee, it’s more bitter. I’m a good cook so try to make healthy snacks… home made savory biscuits with no fat in them, fruit crumble & replacing highly refined white sugar with small amounts of maple syrup or dates. But I loooove my choccy!! Can’t stop that. I try to snack on raw veggies, it works sometimes.

Good luck & let us know how you’re going with it.

1 Like

@Flutterby do you think you can give me a few recipes I’m also gluten free because it makes my stomach hurt

1 Like

Sure @Twialine what kind of recipe would you like… fruit crumble (think this is called fruit crisp in the US), spicy black-bean chocolate cookies, healthy chocolate cake…or were you after dinner recipes? I have a good beef curry one

1 Like

It’s a funny story how I got hooked on black coffee. I was flying passenger planes and it was really boring and I kept falling asleep and my commander told me if I fell asleep in the plane one more time I wouldn’t fly anymore. It’s all autopilot.

The crew chief in the back of the plane carried the coffee and fixed it so I didn’t want to bother them to ask for cream and sugar.

I got used to it. Still drink my coffee black today but I got to have sugar in my tea. I am not losing any weight on it.

I like sugar free French vanilla creamer in my coffee

1 Like

I don’t eat any sweeteners and have switched to cold brew 50/50 with unsweetened almond milk. It’s pretty delicious. And almond milk is only like 30 calories per cup.

@Flutterby I’m not sure all of those sound so good so your choice whatever you wanna share I’ll take

hi @Twialine, do you cook much? here’s 2 healthy, tasty dinner options…

BEEF CURRY

1. Curry paste
1 tbs corriander seeds (aka cilantro seeds)
2 tbs mustard seeds
1 tbs cumin seeds
2 tbs smoked paprika
4 red chillies
4 cloves garlic
6-9cm fresh ginger, grated
1/2 C tomato paste (I’m Australian so this may go by another name, like tomato concentrate)
1 tbs ghee
1/3 C apple cider vinegar
1 tbs maple syrup

2. Curry
2 x 400g cans of tomatoes
11/2 C stock (I just make this from stock powder)
1.2kg beef
1 eggplant (aka aubergine )
2 cinnamon sticks
3 start anise
fresh corriander leaves to serve (aka cilantro)
brown rice

METHOD

1. Pre-heat oven 170 degrees Celcius.
  2. Dry roast (that means dry fry in a fry-pan/skillet) corriander seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds in pan until fragrant. (the mustard seeds pop so just take off heat when they do that!)
  3. Food process/grind (use whatever blade-type machine you have) roasted seeds until powdery. Add all other curry paste ingredients & process/blend.
  4. Put curry paste, tomatoes & stock in an oven-proof pot. Add beef, eggplant, cinnamon sticks & star anise. Cook in oven 3-4 hours until beef tender.

You can use any old cut of beef as you cook it for 4 hours so it will be tender. I actually hold back the eggplant until the last hour of cooking so it doesn’t disintegrate. This is an easy and very yummy curry of you like spices. Skip the chillies if you don’t like eat. Serve with brown rice.

Recipe 2…Healthy tofu & vegetable stir-fry

1. Basic Asian-style sauce/marinade
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbs Braggs Liquid Aminos or tamari or soy sauce
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tabs rice vinegar
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
1 pinch red chili flakes
1/2 tsp Chinese five-spice poweder
1 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp ground ginger
250g firm tofu
2-4 C vegetables

METHOD

1. Chop firm tofu into bite-sized pieces. Mix with sauce/marinade in an air-tight container & leave to marinade in the fridge overnight.
  2. Prep 2-4C of fresh vegetables (corn, capsicum [aka peppers], carrots, zucchini [aka courgettes], celery, asparagus, green beans, kale or other greens, snow peas, any other veg you like!)
  3. Fry the tofu in a frypan (aka skillet) until brown crust appears both sides, set aside. You may need to do it in batches.
  4. Add all the other veggies & all the remaining marinade to the pan. Lightly cook until veggies are tender. Add the tofu back to the pan.
  5. Serve with brown rice or basmati rice.

So the recipes here need you to buy a lot of base ingredients. I can assure you that if you continue, it’s good value for money as you will use the ingredients up over time.

I hope these recipes are helpful. I will next post the healthy chocolate cake recipe!

hi @Twialine, do you cok much? here’s 2 healthy dinner options…

Beef Curry

1. Curry paste
1 tbs corriander seeds (aka cilantro seeds)
2 tbs mustard seeds
1 tbs cumin seeds
2 tbs smoked paprika
4 red chillies
4 cloves garlic
6-9cm fresh ginger, grated
1/2 C tomato paste (I’m Australian so this may go by another name like tomato concentrate)
1 tbs ghee
1/3 C apple cider vinegar
1 tbs maple syrup

2. Curry
2 x 400g cans of tomatoes
11/2 C stock (I just make this from stock powder)
1.2kg beef
1 eggplant (aka aubergine )
2 cinnamon sticks
3 start anise
fresh corriander leaves to serve (aka cilantro)
brown rice

METHOD

1. Pre-heat oven 170 degrees Celcius.
  2. Dry roast (that means dry fry in a fry-pan/skillet) corriander seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds in pan until fragrant. (the mustard seeds pop so just take off heat when they do that!)
  3. Food process/grind (use whatever blade-type machien you have) roasted seeds until powdery. Add all other curry paste ingredients & process/blend.
  4. Put curry paste, tomatoes & stock in an oven-proof pot. Add beef, eggplant, cinnamon sticks & star anise. Cook in oven 3-4 hours until beef tender.

You can use any old cut of beef as you cook it for 4 hours so it will be tender. I actually hold back the eggplant until the last hour of cooking so it doesn’t disintegrate. This is an easy and very yummy curry of you like spices. Skip the chillies if you don’t like eat. Serve with brown rice.

Recipe 2…Healthy tofu & vegetable stir-fry

1. Basic Asian-style sauce/marinade
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbs Braggs Liquid Aminos or tamari or soy sauce
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tabs rice vinegar
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
1 pinch red chili flakes
1/2 tsp Chinese five-spice poweder
1 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp ground ginger
250g firm tofu

METHOD

1. Chop firm tofu into bite-sized pieces. Mix with sauce/marinade in an air-tight container & leave to marinade in the fridge overnight.
  2. Prep 2-4C of fresh vegetables (corn, capsicum [aka peppers], carrots, zucchini [aka corgettes], celery, asparagus, green beans, kale or other greens, snow peas, any other veg you like!)
  3. Fry the tofu in a frypan (aka skillet) until brown crust appears both sides, set aside. You may need to do it in batches.
  4. Add all the other veggies & all the remaining marinade to the pan. Lightly cook until veggies are tender.
  5. Serve with brown rice or basmati rice.

So the recipes here need you to buy a lot of base ingredients. I can assure you that if you continue, it’s good value for money as you will use the ingredients up over time.

I hope these recipes are helpful. I will nes post the healthy chocolate cake recipe!

I drink my coffee black but sometimes I add splenda. have you tried sugar sub. good luck on the weight loss.

@Twialine I forgot to say, those recipe are for 4-6 serves, for a family. If, like me, you live by yourself & don’t have to feed a family, just 1/2 the recipes. You can freeze the rest if you don’t wan to eat the same thing 4 nights in a row.

1 Like