If you are schizophrenic, do you feel it stole your personality?

Did schizophrenia steal your personality? Do you feel like the same person?

5 Likes

Yes, I feel like it stole my personality.

3 Likes

It made my personality worse.

3 Likes

I was hoping it only borrowed it and I’m waiting for it to return it.

11 Likes

Hm… I kind of feel like I’ve gained my personality back…

But also I feel more self conscious and even more awkward

3 Likes

It made my personality sometimes inappropriate.

3 Likes

I feel like I worry a lot and my behaviour patterns are different due to anxiety. It is called depersonalisation or perhaps just mild dissasociation.

3 Likes

I haven’t had a personality in over forty years, and I was no marvel of social adjustment when I had one.

1 Like

Before I was sza I was “socially maladjusted and emotionally disturbed”, so no big leap there personality-wise

3 Likes

It stole my soul. I been SZ so long I don’t know what my personality is, or ever was. It stole my passions.

2 Likes

Can I what age you were diagnosed?

30, but im in my mid 40s so 14 years on antipsychotics, and prodromal or SZ started early 20s I kept my symptoms secret, I didn’t know what was going on. But didn’t get diagnosed til 30. I have never understood my personality ever since I can remember so I don’t know.

1 Like

It’s like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

2 Likes

I took my meds every other day instead of every day and I restrained my sexual desire and felt like all I’d learned since I was seven was demolished. I was 19. I became self conscious as hell. My personality was wiped away. Maybe it was my persona but I never liked women again. My Alter Ego has been punishing me since. But how did I manage to rid myself of sexual desire in just two weeks? I think I lost it beforehand from medication. I’d had a girlfriend and been sexually active for a year. Then suddenly it’s gone. I can’t help thinking I’d still have it today but how real would it be? I had problems with my sexual identity. I am celibate today. And my Alter Ego is unreconcilable. I guess I had been a fake before I lost my personality. I’d been programmed to be straight. I can’t seem to forgive myself. I will always be alone. I don’t have a long time before I die, I’m 51 years old. Maybe I can have some friendships. I’m a sad man.

1 Like

Schizophrenia stole my ambition.

The medication stole my personality.

I forget what the real me was like, I’ve been medicated for so long now…almost 17 years.

2 Likes

My meds full my mind and that makes my personality flat. It sucks.

2 Likes

I’ve lost my passion and drive, I’m a flat version of myself

1 Like

I am not sure whether it was schizoaffective that stole my personality or my abusive ex husband, but I have definitely changed. I was once bright, bubbly and confident.

I am now none of the above.

2 Likes

It messed up and caused much confusion with my personality and it is a soul destroying illness

2 Likes

yes i think it stole my personality. i kind of think of myself as a schizophrenic, not “a person with schizophrenia” just because my thought patterns are still pretty paranoid despite medication. plus, i had to hide it for so long going through grad school and then various jobs and social circles, it almost became more of my core identity because it was so deeply buried.
i wonder what i would have been like if it wasn’t for being schizophrenic, but in the end this is me now, i try to accept and build off what i have left of me now.

2 Likes