If I mention that I have had suicidal thoughts in the past will i be hospitalized?

I am still not yet diagnosed. But I am confident that I am experiencing early symptoms of psychosis. It’s hard because I have tried to find someone in my state who has treated patients with schiz or psychosis. but I think that I have finally found someone and I am praying he accepts my insurance. Anyway, I have managed to calm myself down. About two months ago I experienced the worst depression of my life. I was so set on suicide I convinced myself that nothing could change my mind. but thankfully I came out of that state after weeks of not leaving my bed and sleeping endlessly. Not sure how I did it but im so glad I did… also I don’t know what lies ahead of me in the future but I have plans to try to end the stigma associated with psychotic disorders. I want to set an example for others who are experiencing the same thing. So does anyone know if they will hospitalize me if I mention the suicidal thoughts? Even though they were in the past? I just want to be honest so that I can get the proper help that I need?

That’s the best thing you can do. Make sure you tell them everything. I doubt they’ll hospitalise you. Just my opinion.

1 Like

Being honest is best. You are only ever hospitalized if you pose a threat to yourself or others right now. If you’re not suicidal right now, you’ve got nothing to worry about. :smile:

Pixel.

2 Likes

The only time I was hospitalized for suicidal thoughts was when I admitted myself, and I was having them at the time of hospitalization. I’ve told many doctors that I’ve had suicidal thoughts in the past, but none of them have suggested hospitalization for it.

Legally in the U.S., they can’t detain you against your will unless you are an immediate threat to yourself or others. Then their focus will be to stabilize you. Long-term hospitalization is something the government usually prefers to avoid these days…

I agree with the other posters…honesty is the absolute best thing you can do.

1 Like

I was depressed all day yesterday, and I was having Suicidal type thinking - picturing the event in my mind very vividly.

I do think that I should tell my pdoc what is going on with me - having dark thoughts on suicide when one is depressed doesnt mean the person will carry through with it - I do feel as if I should tell her about it.

Pdocs usually have a good sense on their patients.

I have mentioned to my pdoc before on my dark thoughts - she did not Hospitalize me, because she knew that I would not make any attempts on my lfe, they are just dark thoughts, commonly seen with depression.

If you feel as if you are seriously suicidal and have the impulses to carry it through - get help immediately, dont wait a minute.
Call your pdoc and/or get to the ER as fast as you can.