If I didn't live in subsidized housing I don't know how I would get by

It’s scary. This is a really nice apartment complex. The grounds are beautiful. The units are all updated and if anything needs fixing they send someone right away. I really like my place. But there are strict rules, no privacy, lots of inspections and always the fear that you’re going to blow it and get kicked out.

Well, this weekend my daughter stayed the night because she had no place else to go. She was being loud and obnoxious. I kept hushing her down, I thought I did good enough. The next day she hung around and at one point a friend of hers showed up. I thought maybe he came to get her. Well he came in and they went to the back patio. After a while I went to check on them to see if they needed anything or hopefully to see if they were leaving and I caught them smoking weed.

Yes, in Cali weed is legal but this is a federally subsidized property so weed is prohibited. Even cigarettes are prohibited. We have to go off property to smoke. I said you know it’s not right for you to invite friends over to my house and smoke marijuana. It’s against the rules and you are going to get me kicked out. I’m tired of you today I just want you to go. I asked her if she needed anything in the house because I was going to lock it and leave. And she could go wait out front for her ride.

Ok, fine. Fast forward to Monday. While I was in therapy a call came in from the assistant manager at the complex. By the time I noticed it she had gone for the day. I’m pretty sure it’s a complaint about my daughter, probably someone overheard, or smelled the weed. Now I’m freaking out and can’t stop obsessing about what kind of trouble I’m in.

I don’t know what I would do if I lost my apartment.

4 Likes

I hope you get away with a warning and get to stay in your lovely apartment.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you @Jonathan2 . Do you think it would just be a warning?

1 Like

I have no clue. I live in a different country.

But here it’s very difficult to get people out of their house. Usually you need a court order.

1 Like

If I could even find a place to live here it would be $600. I pay half that now.

2 Likes

That seems like a really good deal.

Here, 1 bedroom apartments are 800-1000$ normally. My mom is my landlord, so I get a special deal. Lucky me!

1 Like

yes. I’m blessed. I hope I’m not in bad trouble.

1 Like

Just be prepared to apologize! And make sure it never happens again.

That looks to me to be the most important.

1 Like

Thanks. I am going to have to just forbid my daughter from coming here. She can’t control herself

2 Likes

I think your landlord would realize — this is yer home and putting you on the streets is a big deal
I’m sure there’s some degree of understanding :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Im exactly the same. Im sure many of us here are.

1 Like

You are so lucky you like your apartment complex. I’ve had nice apartments too. But someone always ends up finding where I am and making me so miserable, I have to move. If I really liked my apartment, I wouldn’t let my daughter get away with anything. But she’s probably now, more conservative than I am. I’m surprised they are that strict in California, but I’m sure it will probably just be a warning.

1 Like

It can be anything. But if it was the smoking - i think most likely they just want to reinforce the rules to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Kicking someone out would be drastic. Especially in CA.

1 Like

I hope you don’t get in trouble and lose your apartment. Where I live tiny cockroach infested apartments go for $900+ per month. A decent one bedroom is $1200 per month. It’s awful

1 Like

I live in a group home at £816 a month for a bedroom with shared kitchen and living room. But all the white goods included in the price and they are replaced when they brake.

1 Like

I had to Google to learn about this term. I see that there is brown goods and grey goods too.

1 Like

What happened with the property manager, @Leaf?

1 Like

You’ll be helping her by accelerating her trip to the bottom. Sounds like she needs a hard bounce from it to realize the scope of her addiction. Hard as heck for a parent to step back and let it happen.

2 Likes

She wanted to let me know that they have placed a special garbage can in the dumpster area for me so I can put my garbage in there. I am not strong enough to lift my garbage with one arm and lift the lid of the dumpster with the other. There used to be disabled garbage cans but someone stole them.

3 Likes

Yes. You are right. I know you are. I must be strong.