Identification of blood biomarkers for schizophrenia

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/29684772

"we performed a next-generation sequencing approach in combination with a literature search to select appropriate miRNAs. We then used real-time quantitative polymerase chain reaction (RT-qPCR) to identify miRNAs expressed aberrantly in schizophrenia. Binary regression analysis identified miR-22-3p, miR-92a-3p, and miR-137. "

2 Likes

My DNA testing on the genome site showed markers and high chance of sz.

1 Like

What site was that? I didn’t think they were allowed to make claims like that by the FDA.

So is this saying they can diagnose sz with a blood test now?

No, there are a number of groups that are working on biomarkers though.

It will take a long time because they would have to develop a test that was cost effective and then put it through testing, that would take years.

I’m sure they can do it - I’m less sure about when, because the test would have to be profitable for a drug company to advance it, and a lot of psychiatrists would say they don’t need a test, they can tell when people are psychotic. So… I think it might be awhile. But eventually, I’m sure.

1 Like

It was a site I used to see my genetic health markers in my DNA.

No I think it just shows a higher chance of it in certain people or genetic traces I really don’t know. I think it’s too technical for me.

Is this promethease, or something else?

1 Like

it May have been Prometheus or another similar site.

1 Like

Good, because over 20 years later, people claim I’m a fake, even though my mother had it. but it doesn’t explain the fact that some doctors think its caused by stress. Which i’m sure is true for my mother and me.

1 Like

So, what are you saying? Will there soon be a gentic test for those at risk of sz?
simular to those for cancer risk?

Or are you saying there is now a blood test for sz to accurately identify an individual person has developed sz?

I think they have been able to show now how stress can change the expression of your DNA, your epigenome.

So you may have had the underlying genetics and then stress was a trigger.

1 Like

There is no currently available test to show if you have sz, although that may be possible in the future.

There are genetic tests that can suggest whether you have a higher or lower than average risk of sz, but they’re not able to accurately predict whether you will get it.

2 Likes

It’s true for me. The more stressed I become the worse my symptoms are. And everything stresses me out. I just can’t be calm. Unless I’m flattened. But that’s not calm.