I was so afraid of coming out as transgender that I struggled with OCD and psychosis as a teenager

4 Likes

Oh wow, didn’t realize this was such a common story.

1 Like

I’m a it worse to be trans or schizophrenic?

Definitely worse to be schizophrenic, because that is a disease that causes a lot of distress. Being trans isn’t a problem at all, except for dealing with the prejudices of other people.

3 Likes

Doesn’t being trans mess with Horomones and cause distress like depression?

Some trans people choose to go on hormone replacement therapy, but other do not. Just being trans is not a sign of hormone imbalance. Some trans people have depression, but it tends to be more situational depression caused by other people treating them badly because they are trans. If a trans person is loved and accepted and allowed to present as their preferred gender, studies show their depression drops significantly.

4 Likes

from my minimal engagement with, there is cutting. Muffy hurt himself so badly he could never play guitar again.

1 Like

I have a trans friend, she takes hormones, and has a heart of gold.

She was born a male.

1 Like

I met a trans woman once at the doctors office. I’d never met anyone trans gender before so I didn’t want to be mean but I didn’t know how to act. She was so kind to me that it immediately put me at ease. Thank God.

1 Like

Damn. That’s awful :persevere:

You act like they’re a person. Because they are. All trans people want is to be treated normally and with basic respect.

2 Likes

I agree. I felt awkward at first and I tried to hide my awkwardness cos I know she’s a human being. So anyway she was so kind to me that I’d hope I’d run into her again. Her kindness put me at ease

I think the hardest thing is to not slip up with pronouns. I always feel awful when I do.

3 Likes

Yeah. This person was born a male but is trans gender so I call her she. I think that’s right

1 Like

It can be hard for someone with no experience to remember pronouns, or whether to say trans man or trans woman, or whatever. For most of us, it is a million times better to be around someone who is respectful and kind, but always uses the wrong terms, than it is to be around someone who gets all the terms correct but is clearly just masking the fact that they think we are freaks.

4 Likes

I felt badly a while back because there is a lady here in our tiny town that sits and uses the library WiFi a lot. The reason I slipped up is because they have a big beard and sometimes dresses “male-ish”. Then other days wears a sun dress.

I haven’t met them personally so I don’t know for a fact they are transitioning or just likes to wear dresses sometimes. There’s men who are cis and straight who wear skirts and dresses.

1 Like

Is that person possibly gender fluid? Maybe seeing them self as a man sometimes and as a woman sometimes or even both all the time?

They want all people to respect them and treat them normally. The problem is not everyone is going to like you. And trans need to realise this. Not everyone likes bronies (40 year old men who are obsessed with my little pony). Not everyone likes furries. Not everyone likes feminists. But they just get on with it.

Not everyone likes me…but I don’t come on here demanding that because I’m sz I must be liked and respected.

1 Like

No one is saying you have to like anyone. Nor do trans people expect that. Most just want to not be erased.

3 Likes

There is also a huge difference between disliking someone because they are being mean to you, and disliking someone because you don’t agree with the fact that they exist.

4 Likes