I want to go off my medications

Hello, I plan to go off Olanzapine slowly. I’m at 12.5mg now and have been taking it for over 4 months. I’m tired all the time and have akathisia. I plan to lower to 10mg for one week, 7.5mg for one week, and then 5 and 2.5mg for 2 more weeks and then go off completely. I watched the documentary " Take These Broken Wings – Healing from Schizophrenia, Cure without Medication (FULL FILM)" on youtube which motivated me to slowly taper off the medications

1 Like

You should consult your doctor before you make any changes. :water_buffalo::water_buffalo::water_buffalo:

5 Likes

Wouldn’t we all like to go off medication and feel and function fine without meds. Most likely a big mistake if we do. I end up in the hospital.

5 Likes

I watched that movie. It’s about one or two people who got LUCKY. Don’t come off meds because of that dreadful movie.

6 Likes

Sounds like a bad idea to me.

3 Likes

I would LOVE to get off my meds but unfortunately I can’t.
Stopping my meds would land me in jail, on the streets or if I’m lucky to the psych ward.

Take your meds @BlackWolf885!

3 Likes

I’m on olanzapine too, it’s helping me a lot and lowering my paranoia unlike Abilify. I don’t think you should stop it without your doctor’s advice.

2 Likes

uhm, your chances of losing everything you’ve gained so far is at stake…please don’t stop your meds !!

3 Likes

I think that’s not a good idea. How about changing your meds instead? Try something like Abilify or Vraylar which are stimulating and won’t make you tired. But you may still have akathisia. I’m on Invega switching slowly to Vraylar and I can’t really recommend Invega due to all the side effects I’m experiencing but it doesn’t make you as sedated either and the akathisia isn’t too bad.

1 Like

I was doing terrible on haldol so I told my doctor she took me off haldol and added abilify and it is helping. I agree with the others quitting meds even slowly can cause problems

1 Like

I can’t get off my meds or I’d go stark raving crazy :joy: but I would like someday get my dose lowered

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about going off my meds these past couple of months as well. Im just not happy like I used to be, I rarely ever get up anymore and I work so hard just exercising. my schizophrenia seems to be cured but I get depressed.

1 Like

When you started meds did it actually prevent or reduce any of your symptoms?

Be sure to taper slowly! and do this with doc permission if possible, just in case things go on the downturn.

3 Likes

You really need your pdoc on board with this. If he catches on that you stopped without his guidance, he could release you as a patient.

Bad news if stopping meds doesn’t work, when you’re going off the deep end and can’t get meds.

4 Likes

May I suggest talking to your doctor about a med change instead?

For people with single episode psychosis, it is possible to fully recover, but there are a few caveats. One: you must stay on meds at least EIGHTEEN MONTHS after your last symptoms stop. Two: you must wean slowly, under the close supervision of a doctor. Like, at least two full months between steps down. And if you start to have worsening symptoms, you need to step back up again for another full month.

Psychotic episodes cause your gray matter to shrink. A psychotic brain shows up to 10% less gray matter than a healthy brain. The only way to prevent this is by taking meds. Stopping meds, even slowly, is a huge risk. It’s important to stay under the close watch of a trusted psychiatrist.

4 Likes

Please consult with your pdoc I know so many have said this already but it’s only because we care

It did reduce my symptoms

Ok, I will speak with my psychiatrist and I hope she understands.

I have taken it into my own hands several times, and I end up very sick. Going off meds is bad, you’re given them for a reason.

They’re not tic tacs, they do not just give them to anybody.

Sounds like you need to switch.

2 Likes