Schizophrenia.com

I told a colleague about my schiz

This guy at work kept pointing out to me that I am cultured and obviously not like his modern self. He thinks I don’t have an opinion on anything. Obviously he thinks i am backward in every sense because he told me I should go back home if this country wasn’t doing anything for me. I felt like telling him this was my home. I was born here. I asked why he said that and he says I seem to know whats going on back home but not here. He did the same (went home) so apparently that’s why he is not racist. i don’t feel there is anything wrong with being "cultured but the reason why i don’t seem to fit in is not because of that but because i have schizophrenia.

So anyway, on Friday there was a party at work and I said I was not coming. The guy really had a go at me. He thinks I’m a loner to begin with and makes it known by making subtle suggestions. Or maybe I’m being paranoid? i don’t know. For instance, I once told him i had a vitamin d deficiency and take tablets. The sun was out and he said I should go outside and get the real thing for once. Or I told him I went to uni and really regretted my choice of course. And he said what? so you did it just to get out of the house and started laughing. Maybe I did, that is none of his business.

Anyway, I told one of the girls at work I had schizoaffective and that i had not slept the whole night and was crying so needed to get some sleep which is why I was not coming. I told her thats why I appear different and not like everyone else. She said I shouldn’t be ashamed of it and I said I wasn’t but i hide it usually because of stigma.

I don’t care if she tells him anymore. At least he’ll know to back off.

2 Likes

Oh and i had an interview today and i was asked about any medical conditions that i had and I told them the truth. I don’t think I will get it though because i was a nervous wreck during the whole thing. But my old manager has asked me to come back and work mornings for her like before. it is not certain though. But if it is confirmed i will be going back to part-time work which I actually enjoyed.

2 Likes

Good for you Ish. I’m glad your standing up and not taking it anymore. I hope you get to be back in a schedule that makes you happy. Part time will also help when you get into the school.

I’m rooting for you.

1 Like

Thanks J. But school starts in September (if I actually get in) so I will have to leave this for that anyway because the school schedule is quite heavy with actual full-time placements. I actually enjoyed it at my old job and people there actually appreciated my work so I go where I am appreciated because that makes me happy.

1 Like

Sounds like you did the right thing. I can’t imagine trying to hide this condition, I am a psych major and when I tell other psych majors about it, they most often are like “YOU HAVE WHAT?” and then ask me tons of questions. My professors understand and they usually remark that I seem not only normal but bright, and I explain that I have had success with medications and am recovered, in remission. But the real world, not a building full of people who have written papers about schizophrenia and answered test questions about it, is a different place.

Good job telling the truth. Today, stigma is less of a problem than ever, especially if you are successfully medicated, but still, good job!

2 Likes

Good for you for telling her. I’m glad she was supportive. Good luck with the interview. I hope you get to go back to part-time work, since you actually enjoyed it.

1 Like

I am going to be as straightforward as I can be - I have worked in the past and I decided to confide in one person and decided to open up with my diagnosis. At the time it was bipolar. Soon following that confession to a good friend/colleague - many others knew of my dx. I was treated “special” afterwards

1 Like

To be honest, I don’t care whether they like me or dislike me. I just want them to know so they’d back off a bit and stop telling me I obviously don’t fit in because I know i don’t.

1 Like

I understand ish - but some mean spirited people may not back off, but there are laws that protect you
What you did took a lot of courage and honesty, I commend you for that

4 Likes

Guys the girl asked me if I actually have been diagnosed. What medications I take. Am I stupid or something.

thats cool you told her and she seemed to deal with it in a good way, i think you were very brave, i know how hard it can be to tell people.

1 Like

Maybe she is asking because she really is interested. Also it’s possible you may be fitting in better then you think.

1 Like

This is just my little slice of experience but when I started “coming out” There was one person who was on me with the questions. Yes, I did think they were just being nosey and getting ready to mess with me. But I did open up first and tell people so I guess I had no one to blame but myself.

So after about a month of these little questions I couldn’t ignore it any more and I really opened up on this guy with my irritation. The thing was… His Dad was crumbling and he was loosing his Dad fast. So when I opened up, he wasn’t asking as a way to mess with me but because he had never been in contact with anyone who admitted to a mental illness. He was trying to get some answers for his Dad. Of course then I felt like a jerk for getting angry with this guy. But oh well.

You can never really tell why people ask. But sometimes it is for an honest intent.

2 Likes