I miss beer

For the most part I have gotten used to sobriety, but damn do I sometimes miss beer, more so than any other alcohol. I try not to look over when I walk past the beer aisle at the grocery store, but the store where I do most of my shopping has lately had a Blue Moon display near the main aisle; Blue Moon was one of my favorites. It crushes me that I cannot have it. :disappointed:

I’m nine days away from the one-year mark, and I am absolutely not going to break my sobriety, but I wish like hell I wasn’t an alcoholic and could just enjoy the occasional beer the way so many people do. It’s all-or-nothing with me, though, I’m either completely sober or I’m all in. I won’t even touch so-called non-alcoholic beer considering it has 0.5% alcohol.

I just have to remind myself of how much better I feel now compared to where I was a year ago, when depression and anxiety were running rampant in me.

17 Likes

that’s what i do too

2 Likes

I’m almost at the 2 year mark. It feels like much longer, and it is still difficult.

5 Likes

I quit for 2 and a half years once. But i was pretty sure i got alcohol poisoning

1 Like

I had quit for three years at one point, only to go back to drinking when my marriage fell apart in 2008. I hit the bottle hard at that time, and I have been struggling with it ever since.

1 Like

thts soo smart you don’t touch it even tho it’s .5
not even ab the taste
do you take any mds tht work on gaba? Benzo ?
Thse can worsen cravings

If you’re on anti-psychotic meds I think drinking any kind of alcohol is taboo for it affects the medication.

So whether you’re an alchoholic or not you can’t drink alcohol or at least that’s not recommended.

No benzos for me. I just take two APs, an antidepressant and a mood stabilizer.

2 Likes

Oh, I know. Even without the APs I’m on I shouldn’t drink with my antidepressant. Probably bad with my mood stabilizer (actually a seizure med), too.

2 Likes

All 5 of my meds say no alcohol, so that’s just an added reason for me to not drink.

2 Likes

@freakonaleash

There are alcohol-free (0.00% alcohol) beers. Just do a search on the Internet (alcohol free).

1 Like

good.
if I it makes you feel any better,
I’m rly craving my self
Psychs, specifically

1 Like

I would be afraid that would give me a taste for it again. Good to know they’re out there, though, maybe someday.

2 Likes

Naltrexone is a great med for alcohol cravings.

2 Likes

I miss beer too but I wasn’t an alcoholic, but I know not to drink beer or any kind of alcohol with my meds. my dad’s an alcoholic and takes Seroquel, he has cut back but still drinks occasionally

1 Like

I don’t have insurance to get another med. I’ll be fine, just crave it sometimes, but usually I’m ok. I’ve been craving the taste of a good beer more so than the alcohol, anyway.

2 Likes

Are you high man

2 Likes

yea, man.
no lol not rly. Having dissociated episode after this:
Additive ``free tobacco bowls
They make me sick ):

1 Like

I guess I can’t sympathize that much. Alcohol tastes nasty to me. People have said that it tastes better when you are addicted but then why drink it in the first place.

2 Likes

I’ve been sober going on 7 years, haven’t touched a drop. But I really crave a beer now and then also. Sounds kinda weird but I like the non alcoholic carbonated non sweetened drinks. Like the carbonated flavored water. They kinda reminds me of beer.

1 Like