I love baseball

I love baseball, I have a couple of favorite teams. Before my in laws found out we had sports channels like mlb network I was watching baseball non stop but they cancelled it even if kay pays the cable bill. oh well at least they show games sometimes during the weekend,

8 Likes

I big on baseball too. Yankees, Diamondbacks, Orioles, and Cardinals are my teams. But not Boston. Nope. Despise the Red Sox. Bunch of prima donnas.

1 Like

agreed , I love the Yankees, white sox, Phillies, and cardinals.

1 Like

It would seem you and I have a small conundrum - who do we root for when two of our teams play each other? Who decides such a thing? There is no balance in the universe! This cannot stand! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I always try to be a passive observer and watch the game without taking a side when two of my favorite teams play against each other. ITS really hard to do.

2 Likes

My head almost exploded in 2001 when the Yanks and D-Backs met in the World Series.

I’m a hardcore baseball junkie. Just to reminisce for a minute, my dad got me into baseball. He was from New York (Yanks, not Mets) and he taught me about all of the old time players in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. I met Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford when I was 10. I watched highlight reels of old black-and-white games for hours as a kid. I spoke to a fellow I know who’s in his mid-70s, and I was telling him all about Ralph Kiner and other players on the 1950s Pittsburgh Pirates (that’s the team who he was brought up with). He was completely floored when I told him about those guys. Good stuff.

I used to pitch in Little League. Oh hell, I could go on forever. If you ever wanna talk baseball, definitely message me. I can talk baseball all damn day. :smiley:

2 Likes

I haven’t been to a ballgame in many, many years but I used to love going up to Candlestick Park or the Oakland Colisium and watching the A’s or the Giants play. It’s so much fun to leisurly sit in the stands eating a hot dog or a malt ice cream, sipping a coke and enjoying the sunshine and watching a game.

3 Likes

me, too. i’m a dodger fan and I just watched game 1 of the 88 series when Gibson hit the homer off Eck with two bad legs. still gives me goosebumps…

2 Likes

I haven’t watched baseball a lot, but a few seasons back I took an interest in the St. Louis Cardinals because my next door neighbor was interested in them. The Cardinals had a mid season slump, and I was saying that the Cardinals should write this season off and work on rebuilding for next year. Then the Cardinals got a wild card berth in the playoffs and won the world series. Shows how much I know.

1 Like

I watched that exact game when I was in the psyche ward during a relapse in '88, it was dramatic as hell. I mean baseball doesn’t get much more dramatic than that.

9th inning. Dodgers last at bat and down by three. Two men on. Two outs. Gibson had sat out the entire game because of those legs ( actually, I think it was his knees that were the problem) but they brought him in as a pinch hitter.

So he’s at bat. I think (but I could be wrong) that the count was a full count. Last pitch. A miracle happens!! He hits a walk-on home run!! The Dodgers win the game!!! Gibson is so crippled by his legs (knees?) that he can barely round the bases.

An hour later I raid the freezer for a huge bowl of Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. They kept a 5 gallon carton of ice cream in the freezer at all times and we were allowed to have some any time we wanted to.

By the way, I never liked the Dodgers. They were arch rivals of my San Francisco Giants and there was never any love lost between the two teams. But to give the Dodgers credit, Tommy Lasorda was an outstanding manager, maybe one of the best ever.

3 Likes

That’s a cool story Nick. In 1998, I watched Aaron Boone hit that walk-off, series-clinching home run for the Yankees. “Ohhhhh Shhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!” I yelled.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.