Schizophrenia.com

I keep thinking I'm losing time

I planned to switch the tv on at 7 pm to watch NCIS . It was just before 6.45 pm . Looked again now to see if it’s time to switch it on and it’s nearly 10 past 8 .

1 Like

Having trouble keeping track of time increments is a challenge for people with autism and ADHD. My son can’t tell the difference between ten minutes and two hours. He needs alarms to remind him to do things at certain times. Otherwise, he will get absorbed into his special interest and zone out for hours.

2 Likes

Thanks . I was really engrossed in doing something online . Is this connected to interoception in any way, or is there another name for it ?

1 Like

The colloquial term is hyperfixating. It’s when you become so absorbed in your special interest that you tune out everything for hours at a time.

1 Like

It’s interesting . This is purely anecdotal so take it at that level . My wife would say while I was on the computer that she’d spoken to me and I hadn’t answered . Truth is I hadn’t heard her . Was sent for an EEG for suspected absence seizures . The result was negative . This was around the year 2000 .

1 Like

My voices could tell me the time when I had no clue what it was. My sub conscious track of time must be flawless

1 Like

That’s pretty typical for autism and ADHD.

1 Like

I feel the same when i oversleep in the morning.

Recently i upped my coffee dosage to 6 scoops and time seemed to go by faster. Very weird.