I have akathisia

Greetings from Europe!

First of all i want to say that i can read English but my pronunciation is not good.
I am diagnosed with schizophrenia and i am new on this forum :slight_smile:
My problem started one year ago and is about the need of walking almost all of my time.
Occasionally i sit to watch tv only when my legs are tired.
i have read that Abilify can give you akathisia wich is only rare cases, but it affect’s me
and i am tired of walking all the day. Please excuse my grammar :slight_smile:
My question is: what can i do to stop akathisia?
Every comment is welcome, every advice is welcome.
I really want to get rid of this akathisia, i mean i hope i will succeed.
Sorry if i will not answer your comments or questions, my time is different than yours,
but i will read any of your messages.

3 Likes

Ask your doctor for cogentin or benzotropine or switch medications to one that does not do that

2 Likes

thank you for your advice

I’m on abilify and suffer from this.

I was given Cloneazapam to help with it. But clonaezpam is a short term solution.

After I stopped Cloneazapam, I tried taking the herb l-theanine.

L-theanine is physically addictive in my opinion, and you can run into problems if you stop taking it abruptly.

But l-theanine makes it bearable for me.

1 Like

thx everhopeful. but first i will try to search on google on that herb wich you say it’s good

This is where I get mine.

http://eu.m.iherb.com/Now-Foods-L-Theanine-100-mg-90-Veggie-Caps/853

2 Likes

Benzos helped a lot. But those aren’t a good long term solution as they are addictive and just not good for you in general. Nothing else helped me, and akesthesia was my main reason for dropping APs. It’s the worst side effect in my opinion.

1 Like

If it is bad enough where you are walking around all day I would get off the offending medication and try something else.

1 Like

@Anna did you mean benzo like Diazepam? i took some pills but it provoked me only
nightmares so i drop them. now i take clonazepam sometimes to sleep.
q: what does it mean "you drop AP’s " just curious @eduvigis i have tried three or four different antipsychotics until now but it makes me fat and
i dont like. Thx all

Hi @oneway88 If akathisia is distressing (and it is) tell your local doctor by phone or appt ASAP. It is not right for you to go on with akathisia as a side effect of an AP. A reduction in the dose might make all the difference or a switch to another AP. Don’t take akathisia lightly it can be dangerous.

1 Like

Thx @thedeepestdream It really is distressing to walk all day and it’s not recent, it happened since one year ago.
I told my doctor and she almost not believe me, but also she gave me half-dose of abilify.
Until november i took 2 pills a day and now this month i take only 1 pill of abilify.
What do you mean it can be dangerous?

1 Like

Clozaril caused me to gain weight. My Dr for my restlessness gave me Propranolol and Klonipin. They help. Propranolol slows your heart rate and it’s non-addictive.

1 Like

I am hypotensive, i have a slow heart rate, maybe it’s not good for me Propranolol

Try an anticholinergic. - for example any medicine containing trihexyphenidyl hydrochloride. It worked for me when I had akathisia although I was on another antipsychotic (amisulpride). Good luck !

1 Like

I’ve noticed your posts

Thanks for being here

I don’t sit down

I’m always on my phone

Merry Christmas

2 Likes

I am so glad to hear that someone has succeded to get rid of this akathisia.
If it worked for you maybe it will also in my case. Thx @Andrey

1 Like

@Daze are you watching me or my posts, why? Merry Christmas to all " readers" :smile:

No in a good way honey

Peace

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! :smile: I had akathisia with ability too. I was scared at first but then it went away after the first couple of weeks. However, if it hasn’t subsided, then I suggest what everyone else said above. Call your pdoc for a switch :slight_smile: Hope you feel better soon!

1 Like

All of you guys made my days happy than before i enter this forum.
I am more optimistic from now on, seeing that some of you have overcome this side effect from AP
Love you all and many thx

1 Like