Schizophrenia.com

I going to join a Credit Union

It’s $5.00 a month for a checking account that includes cellphone insurance and identity theft protection. I just hope they accept me. I have only have “fair” credit with a bankruptcy and late payments a year ago. Does anyone have any experience with credit unions or advice?

1 Like

I moved from a credit union to a different bank. I didn’t like it but every credit union is different.

1 Like

Thanks FatMama. What didn’t you like?

1 Like

Money was taken from the account and they refused to investigate. It happened to my cousin as well and she changed to a different bank too.

1 Like

I’ll have to watch out for that. Thanks

1 Like

I think it is likely just that credit union. There are different ones that people really like.

1 Like

My friends trusted me with their Social Security numbers. I was going to put them on as payable on death beneficiaries of my accounts, but this credit union requires their Social Security numbers to do that. It’s nice to know they trust me. I’ve known them for four or five years now.

1 Like

I belong to one. But I don’t know much about it, lol.

Mine is pretty similar to a bank. I have a checking and savings account. They give me a debit card and checks. I can have my account online. IDK this for sure but if I had to guess, I would say one drawback might be that a large bank like BofA or Wells Fargo have more branches in more places. My credit union has only one branch near me and it’s about 20 minutes away across town. That said, I still have ATMS relatively close where I could withdraw money or deposit checks.

The one I’m trying to join has an ATM just a few blocks away from where I live. They only have two branches though like you said. The closest one is maybe four miles away.

1 Like

Whatever one works best for you. It’s good to make an informed decision. My credit union is fine; I rarely need to go in person anyways.

1 Like

I spoke to someone with the credit union this morning. She said she thinks I’ll be approved, but won’t have a decision until this afternoon. They pulled a TransUnion credit report on me this morning, and they are going to check with ChekSystems to see if I wrote any hot checks.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.