I feel 50% of my problems are "spiritual"

I’m an athiest but schizophrenia has forced this weird spiritual belief system on me.

I do believe I have a physical brain malfunction that I have to take meds to correct. That’s the normal 50% of my problems. I’m completely pro meds and do believe I have a physical brain problem.

But the other 50% of my problems I feel are spiritual / occult in nature. I don’t want to talk too much about them though.

Does anybody else feel this way or am I on my own?

7 Likes

That’s what I attribute my problems to.

1 Like

I’m with you on this one. My meds help me with delusional thinking but they don’t stop my tactile hallucinations. I believe my tactiles are spiritual, i.e energies that I pick up. For example, when I’m taking a walk and pass by a person, I get weird pokes in my body. And they’re not in the same place all the time. Even if my mind is shut off, i.e going to sleep and I’m not thinking about anything, I still get these pokes.

I hope this makes sense.

3 Likes

I think that there may be spirit beings, but I don’t think there is an all mighty god, and I don’t follow any religion.
I think it is ok to keep an open mind as long as we don’t think too much about the things that can’t be certain about.
Make the best of this life and try to find moments of happiness if you can.
I don’t think much about spiritual things while I am on good medication.

3 Likes

No you are not on your own.
I too believe that my SZA is a physical brain disorder and meds help.

But I also believe the SZ is a spiritual disease and there are things related to the paranormal that keep on surfacing.

It’s a spooky situation but there seems to be a connection.

2 Likes

No, I don’t believe sz is a spiritual disease.

That is a delusion.

6 Likes

schizophrenia has a way of opening the mind to a point of spiritual retreat. do not fear the base of this thought , after all we still us primitive behavers’. for most things away.

2 Likes

I think a sense of spirituality pervades everyone’s life. Some believe in a higher power, other just believe in karma. And everything in between, like Wicca and Magick. And I assume even atheists believe in treating others with some respect, for the most part.
I know I have an illness. But I believe that my ideas about religion/spirituality are just as valid as anyone else’s. Whether they have a psychiatric diagnosis or not.

4 Likes

I am still coming to terms that I need the pills my 3 day on them and it’s giving me some side effects but sounds bother me less and I haven’t felt poisoned as much today

4 Likes

Yes, i do belive its a spiritual/social aspect. I know nothing about it and neither does anyone else.
I hope one day we can get to the bottom of it as i feel for us who suffer so.

2 Likes

I too have the “unusual belief” that it is spiritual. If you are open to the possibility of such things it’s hard to deny.

4 Likes

As I told my psychiatrist - I accept that I need meds to be in control but we have a different opinion about what the ‘experiences’ are

3 Likes

yea this past week or two or so, i havent felt any spiritual or religious obligation because i have been focused so much on my work with music that i havent cared to practice any religion rites or anything. i do know that there can be no breakthrough in spirituality without some form of balance, basically there was to be a daily routine that you live with in a religion to be able to get any benefit out of it to account for the balance

3 Likes

Nope your not alone. I actually believe it’s spiritual in nature and the illness manifests in the physical and reality. Just like all spiritual things. And until I figure it out I’m gonna keep taking meds.

2 Likes

I agree in some ways that it is spiritual and medical,. Meds help regardless of what it is. However I believe all people have a void that only God can fill. So even norms experience the lack of a relationship with God. However I never truly recovered until I seeked and submitted to God.

4 Likes

I have spiritual beliefs, somewhat confused about them, but not a religious person. In some ways it’s this spiritual side that helps me with my paranoia. Like believing there is something (s) bigger than me that help and make me not alone.

3 Likes

Ok so it’s not a Spiritual disease, but SZ has Spiritual aspects to it.
This has been my experience at least.

Everyone has a different take on it.
No I’m not delusional @kindness.

1 Like