I can prove that 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2

When I begin this exercise proving that 1 + 1 doesn’t always equal 2, I’ll tell a person, "Give me one. Go find me one and give me one. They respond by giving me one pencil, or some other object. I respond by saying, “That’s not one. That is a pencil.” They react by saying, “It is one pencil.” And I say, “I didn’t want one pencil. I wanted one.” They reply, “It is one pencil.” I could continue in this circular argument, but I concede the point. Then I say, “Okay, give me one dinner plate.” They give me a plate. Then I say, “Okay. We have one pencil and one plate, but do we have two?” They say, “Yes, we have two objects.” Here I say, the term “objects” is so vague and so meaningless that saying you have “two objects” isn’t really saying anything. What if you have one aircraft carrier and on infant pacifier? You have two objects, but do you have the magical “two”. The point is that there are so many objects in the universe that the classification is basically meaningless. One plus one equals two only works in a universe that is ordered, and the universe has a lot of chaos. What if you had a skyscraper and a toothbrush. Do you have anything other than two objects? And the term “object” is so amorphous as to be basically meaningless.

1 Like

I would guess that the definition of an “object” in physics is “anything that has mass”.

1+1 makes 1, sometimes

1 Like

!+1=3 (or more)

Got married, had a kid.

3 Likes

1+1 = 11.
Prove me wrong.

3 Likes

“You have taken your first step into a larger world.” :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes. As I’ve said here before, with a web link, Mathematics is just a model. I learned from my college trigonometry professor, as I recall.

1 Like

:peach: + :kiss: = :flushed:
Prove me wrong

4 Likes

“The reason, Abbott says, is that because when you recognize that math is just a mental construct—just an approximation of reality that has its frailties and limitations and that will break down at some point because perfect mathematical forms do not exist in the physical universe—then you can see how ineffective math is.”

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I occasionally lectured to a college class in mathematics in my first official job. Math is useful. Models are useful. Math is a model.

1 Like

When is half of 12 actually 7?

1 Like

This is blowing my simple mind.

1 Like

Well 7 is actually 2 segmented lines. So if we break up the 7 we have 2. Carry the 2 and remember you only have one 7. Lets put that little 1 beside that cute little 2.
And there you have it half of 12 is actually 7. :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Interesting! I like what you did there. My solution is kinda similar - do you want to hear it?

2 Likes

We make reality because so two or more people understanding.
So there are standardized rules…
They are not correct or wrong, its just majority wins…

Edit: if I am single living human in the world… What ever I do is my rule.

1 Like

Math models are not as fun to look at as female models.

5 Likes

Lets hear it mate :grin:

2 Likes

Well in Roman numerals 12 is - XII

Cut that in half horizontally and you get - VII = 7!

4 Likes

(Edit) Sorry. I guess I made a stupid joke. Back to work! (/Edit)

1 Like

That is a good explanation sir.

Here is one complimentary cake :birthday: :blush:

2 Likes

1+1=6. You have to just really want to see it.

1 Like