Do you know any paradoxes?

Boiling water makes a potato soft, but an egg hard.
One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

1 Like

8 Likes

You’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

:rainbow:

1 Like

I don’t understand yours, @anon54386108

I think the point is that the more you tell yourself you gotta relax, the more stressed out you get over not relaxing enough

2 Likes

There’s of course the liar, one variation of which would be: “this sentence is false”, a classic for sure :wink:

Then there’s another classic, the ‘heap’ or ‘sorites’: “one grain of sand doesn’t make a heap of sand, adding one doesn’t make it a heap of sand. Repeating would never give you a heap of sand and yet it does!”

I personally like the statement "X and Y are incomparable " followed by the answer to the question “why?”

1 Like

What @Pikasaur said.

1 Like

I had just gotten a mostly blank page. My old computer didn’t kick it in.

Oh, it’s a meme.

It says “Have you ever tried to relax, it’s a paradox!”

Because trying to relax is stressful in itself.

1 Like

Same as telling an upset person to calm down, haha.

1 Like

I totaled the car in a car accident. A friend drove up to help and said “Don’t get upset.” Hell, a car accident is something to get upset about. But I suppressed it. I wish I hadn’t done that. It is more natural to be upset.

“The news spread to the four corners of the world.”

How can a globe have corners?!

2 Likes

How about, “I can’t do the truth.”

1 Like

The sentence below is false.

The sentence above is true.

2 Likes

Ahhh my brain exploded!

2 Likes

How come ‘fat chance’ and ‘slim chance’ mean the same thing? :wink:

3 Likes

A variation of that is the “Pinocchio paradox.”

Basically envision what would happen if Pinocchio said “my nose grows now.”

Yes, my neighbor deserves a punch n the nose but I never do it.

pickles are cucumbers dipped in evil

1 Like

This is off topic, but one time I saw this college kid in a very lackluster car driving in a McDonald’s parking lot. He tried to squeal his tires as he was making a sharp curve in the parking lot. That was the wrong thing to do, because he lost control of his car and piled into a parked car, badly damaging both vehicles. He tried to put his car in reverse and run away from the situation, but it was too badly damaged to move. I was thinking, “My God, what a humiliation for that guy.” I was wondering what he was going to tell his parents. I didn’t laugh because I thought the guy couldn’t handle it, and we might have a nasty road rage incident. He might have even have a gun. Also, I wouldn’t laugh at somebody who experienced that kind of humiliation. That incident has stayed with me as a precautionary tale.