How to get over a phobia?

I have had a terrible phobia of needles for years. So much so I hyperventilate until I pass out, puke, or become violent to the point of security having to come and restrain me.

It’s been this way for as long as I remember. It’s a real phobia. I would rather cut off my toe then have a needle.

I’ve avoided getting needles for a long time, but now I have a dental appointment to remove my wisdom teeth.

They’ll have to use a needle to freeze my mouth. A needle in the mouth!!! That’s the worst type of needle!

I’ve never really gone to the dentist or had any procedures done, so I’m incredibly nervous. I don’t want to go but my mum and boyfriend are forcing me. I’d rather just live with the pain.

I can’t afford to be put under either, so my only choice is a needle in my mouth or no freezing and terrible pain.

I’m crying just thinking about it.

How have you overcame your phobias? Have any idea how I can do this? I’m terrified.

8 Likes

Same here, when I go for blood tests in the hospital I almost faint every time haha

1 Like

you should do it. without the needle the pain would be unbearable.

3 Likes

I have a needle phobia too. I found having the person talk to me about something and just focusing on what they’re saying can help a bit.

Other than that I normally dissociate and try to murder the person administering the shot. Nobody is happy with that.

3 Likes

Today i was at the dentist and the tranquilaizer hâd worn off when the dentist was about to remove my teeth… Oh my god, the pain was unbearable, i started criyng, we took a 5m break. I think i understand your fear, i hâd the same one for a few months. The fear zid not disapear but transform in a fear of razors and somethimes i have the feeling like i just cut myself with razors. Anyway for me is better to fel the soft touch of a needle then the excruciating pain of removing the teeth naturally

2 Likes

I have the same phobia, I fear my skin being punctured by anything (stingers, needles, pressure) and have a phobia of the sight of blood ever since early childood. When the looney tunes characters were being chased by the bees on tv I was genuinely afraid they were going to get caught and punctured. I don’t have any advice other than it won’t be as bad as you imagine. Especially if they have you anesthetized when its happening.

When I had my wisdom teeth out they used full anaesthesia. I had no recollection of the procedure, it was painless. I was a bit loopy afterward but they had me on oxycodone and I was pleasantly high and painless. Most likely they will put you under for the really invasive stuff.

1 Like

All I can say is reassurance that the needle is not painful it’s more of a prick. And the actual tooth coming out u can feel the sensation but not the pain it’s weird but not painful maybe a tiny bit but it’s worth it. I’m not exaggerating

1 Like

Normally I’d recommend systematic desensitization but that takes time. When is your appointment?

And what scares you the most about needles?

1 Like

Is it possible that you are afraid of the pain caused by the needle rather then the object itself?

I dont associate pain with a needle…i associate getting healthy with a needle…cause it has medicine in to make me healthy. I even associate caring with needle. When i was little my father took me to take a bloodtest. He was very caring. Also the nurse who took the test was caring. So now i see a needle as a caring object. Needle will make me better…thats what i see.

3 Likes

Can you bring some music to listen to and try to focus on that? Or perhaps have something that you can say to yourself in your head? It sounds like a difficult situation, but I would recommend somehow managing with it. The pain would get a lot worse without it.

I know that with my phobias, I can make myself stay in a situation that is causing me issues (like being in a crowded area or a noisy area). I would likely get a panic attack, but I could probably do it. I hope you can do this too. Just try to endure it.

3 Likes

When I had my wisdom teeth pulled, they put me under with intravenous anesthesia. That’s the way they will do it with you too most likely. They just insert a small needle in your vein in your arm and you are unconscious immediately @valiumprincess.

1 Like

I’m wondering, what about needles is it that scares you?
If it’s the pain, does it help to remind yourself that you can’t die from the pain?
Are you scared they might inject you with something dangerous? Would it help if they talked you through what they were doing?
Or would it perhaps help you if you were unable to see what was going on?

I’ve had needles in my mouth. It hurts like hell, but you’re not going to die from it. It’s 3 seconds of intense pain, and then you go more and more numb.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your replies. I’m far too out of it to respond to them all tonight but I appreciate the advice.

I got it done today. I didn’t have the money for anesthetic so I had a needle to freeze everything. Usually he gives people one dose but he gave me something dumb like 4 to make sure I didn’t feel anything.

I literally screamed and cried (well, more of a wail like a banshee) for an hour. The doctor apologized and said that usually it doesn’t take that long. (They struggled getting mine out for over 45 minutes when they said they’ve done them in less than five)

As for me, I’m still in awful pain and haven’t really stopped crying for ten hours. I have a bad headache too.

The doc gave me T3s which is pretty much the equivalent of baby aspirin to me. (Really doesn’t help me, I have too high of a tolerance for them)

I think I don’t like needles for a lot of reasons. The pain is a factor of course. But it’s also just needles in general. Even seeing them on tv makes me ill. It might be because my father used to shoot up until he OD’d and died. Who knows.

Either way, I would still rather run a marathon on broken glass vs get a needle.

It was really traumatic.

2 Likes

Maybe call the dentist and discuss this with him. He might have had other patients with the same problem and maybe he can tell you what worked for them.

3 Likes

Sorry about all of this, going to the dentist is always scary @valiumprincess . But at least go did it now and it’s over, I hope the pain from the extraction subsides soon. Wish you the best.

1 Like

Hey you made it though that’s great!! I’m sorry you’re in so much pain though.

But really hell yeah you made it!!

3 Likes

The only cure for phobia is exposure.

You got needled… when you recover from the pain and stress. Give yourself credit for making it.

Fear of needles is 100% common… there are things out there that are worse.

1 Like

Sorry to hear of your ordeal Valiumprincess. I don’t like needles either but don’t have intense fear of it. I fear sickness and germs though, and thunderstorms with the same terror that you go thru with needles.

I think the best way to deal with phobias is to distract oneself. Breathe deep. Self positive talk (like “everything will be ok”) and prayer helps too. That’s how I cope. (Or at least try to!) :blush:

2 Likes

I’m glad you made it through! Sorry for the bad time you had. I also had to get my wisdom teeth out (long time ago now). And it turned out that I’m allergic to codine! So no pain meds for me, just Tylenol.

3 Likes

I have a phobia of celebrities, people reading my mind, and thinking bad or intrusive thoughts.

1 Like