How old were you when you were diagnosed with schizophrenia?

I was 22 years old when I was first diagnosed. Experienced symptoms when I was 20-21 year old. Very typical for the age I was and being a guy and all.

2 Likes

I was around 18 i think. I never really had positive symptoms though. Just severe delusions. And physically i am not well in psychosis either. My whole body seizes up and i dont function properly. Im thinking its more psychosis nos. But who cares at this point

2 Likes

I was 20 when diagnosed with SZA but I was diagnosed with MDD with psychosis at 14 but my psychosis wasn’t very severe and kind of came and went till I was 20.

2 Likes

I was 27 years old

1 Like
  1. I was checking all my thoughts out loud I had all day
    while cooking supper for me and my kids,
    a running dialogue, making sure it was good enough,
    my thoughts.
    then upon waking, forced speech.
    I knew I needed help.
    never seen a psychiatrist before.
    had a great childhood,
    and early adulthood.
3 Likes

15-16. Only because of my autism that was undiagnosed at that point of time.

2 Likes
  1. And misdiagnosis! Diagnosed with psychotic depression at age 24.
1 Like

I was 18 years old

2 Likes

I was 23 when I heard my first voices.

1 Like

I was 20 years old when I was formally diagnosed. Though I’ve been symptomatic for almost as long as I can remember.

1 Like

They said drug-induced psychosis at 17.

Then I came off APs when I was 19.

Lasted 4 years before it came back without any drugs to blame

Then it was Paranoid Schizophrenia

Now they also tell me depression, then not, then anxiety, which is now secondary to psychosis and not a disorder in itself

The ASD is another story

Longer they have their teeth in the more defects they tend to find

1 Like

I was diagnosed with schizoaffective bipolar type at age 24, I think. But I started hallucinating and having paranoia when I was 12. I was also having mood problems.

4 Likes

Oops! That was supposed to say I have been treated since I was 16

3 Likes

Lol i knew it didn’t sound right

:laughing:

1 Like

I flagged it so a mod can help me edit it.

2 Likes

I was dx at 32 but looking back ive been bonkers most of my flippin life

4 Likes

Officially diagnosed with schizophrenia at approximately age 20 years old.

Given a major AP, Navane

Turned me into a zombie

2 Likes

I didn’t really know anything about meds or the illness. But I still took the Olanzapine

After 2 years of this, I lost my temper with putting on so much weight and being a zombie all the time

Led to a relapse as I quit cold turkey, but it was worth it to get back in touch with services and force the issue of better treatment options

2 Likes

I was born in my own world, heard voices all my life, in touch with an alternate reality, had strange mental images. I never tried in school, I got by with my imagination. I started some restaurant work at fourteen and I would have been happy with life as a cook but have been too sick to work since 26 years old.

3 Likes

I was diagnosed when I was 26 years old. I’m 44 now.

I’ve had schizophrenia for 18 years.

5 Likes