How much should schizophrenic take coffee?

I wonder how much coffee people with schizophrenia should take coffee without replase. I like to take coffee in the morning. And I usually take 2 cups of coffee without sugar. But before 5 years ago, I took 4 or 5 cups of coffee. And I had 2 relpase before. But I don’ t know it was because of coffee or stress. And I want your opinions about coffee. I think coffee is something negative and positive for people with schizophrenia. I feel offee is reducing negative symptoms and good for cognition. And it cause positive symptom. How about you ?

4 Likes

I think it tends to eventually make me more tired, I have about 2-3 cups a day.

1 Like

It increases my anxiety. And makes me more likely to get paranoid. I drink one cup in the morning with sugar and milk. Anymore than one and i start to feel really nervous.

3 Likes

I have ruled out coffee and tea because of the caffeine. Drinking either of these induced crippling anxiety.

4 Likes

Coffee has triggered psychosis and relapse in me before, even at 1-2 cups. I’m avoiding caffeine alltogether now, except chocolate which only contains a little. I drink decaf coffee 1-2 cups a day instead.

4 Likes

I had to give up coffee completely, it increased my anxiety and made my symptoms worse.

1 Like

I try to keep it to a cup per day per doctor’s advice. Heart issues are the reason here.

1 Like

Without Invega, coffee makes me anxious and jittery.

But on Invega I can drink about 3 - 5 cups no problem.

3 Likes

When I’m not well mentally I abstain from drinking coffee because it makes me more anxious.

But normally I have two double strength coffees every day. I think over time your body gets more and more tolerant to it and it stops being as effective though.

1 Like

I’m also on Invega and drink coffee all day long. No prob.

1 Like

I drink 2 cups early in the morning and 1 cup of coffee just before I work out in the early to mid afternoon

The only thing it does for me is increase manic symptoms if i am already manic. I havent noticedmuch anxiety or paranoia with caffeine but ive been consuming caffeine my entire life and coffee and tea re my favorites

1 Like

Adenosine modulators and calcium channel blockers as add-on treatment for schizophrenia | Schizophrenia.

Not at all

1 Like

Don’t develop that app!

(Nice avatar!)

Do you want to develop an app?

I’m very unaffected by coffee in any way so I drink 3 cans a day and smoke 40 cigarets.

I drink coffee a lot in the mornings and smoke too

It’s a ritual for me for a long time now

1 Like

I find with a couple of the ap’s I was on, the coffee would make me really restless followed by feeling down. With the other ap’s I have tried, coffee didn’t affect me at all and I could drink as much as I wanted.

That is with instant coffee and pod coffee. For real ground coffee I haven’t been able to drink that at all (espresso or perculated), makes me really anxious.

I went the entire decade of the 80’s caffeine free. Then I got back into my 20 to 25 cups a day, Eventually, I gave up coffee again. Now, I drink like 15 cups of decaf coffee a day.

2 Likes

The medications make me less sensitive to coffee (used to be really sensitive before). But I still only drink one cup a day, that’s enough for me.

1 Like