How much attention do you need from your pet?

when i went and visited with my sister, she has a lap cat, that gets up in your lap and wants to be petted for like an hour. of course it came up to me, and i petted it for 5 to 10 minutes, and it was nice, but then i had had enough of the cat and wanted it off of me. it was just content to lay there and have me pet it. now im thinking if i get a dog, i will take it for walks, take it outside to go to the bathroom, feed it, and let it sit on the couch with me, but don’t need a lot of attention from a pet.

how bout you?

1 Like

More than I’m getting from the current cat. She’ll let me pet her for 2 minutes and then spend 20 minutes lying in her bed purring at me. She considers that affection, the jerk.

4 Likes

Lol! Some cats are aloof like that. When I had cats they were all cuddly and friendly though. Very social.

3 Likes

When I lived alone with my cat I would get on my desktop computer and he could have laid anywhere in the whole studio but he always liked to lay at my feet. I thought that was pretty cool of him. He didn’t expect to be petted he just liked being near me.

1 Like

My cats could sit on my lap for hours! Just sitting there purring, dont even have to pet them lol… but I get tired of sitting there after like 10 minutes and move them off of me

1 Like

I don’t have a limit on pet affection lol, my dog is finally opening up after the almost year I’ve had him, he likes to lay on the bed with me and just chill, he’s slowly turning into a cuddle monster lol, my mom’s cat is more about pets than cuddling.

2 Likes

Yeah, the lady who rehomed her to us misrepresented her personality by a rather large margin. We asked her about this after and she admitted the cat was that way. Wouldn’t have stopped us from adopting as she was in an unhealthy place and needed a new furever home. Once my wife and I adopt a pet, we stick with it through thick and thin because pets deserve security as well.

2 Likes

You’re a good man.

1 Like

I have had my cat 6.5 years. She has been in my lap 4 times.

1 Like

My wee doggie is pretty much always with me–she follows me everywhere. Same with my previous dog. I’ve been very lucky that way, that my dog and I bring mutual comfort and happiness to each other.

3 Likes

Sadly when I had pets I generally needed less attention than she or he needed.

1 Like

Oh I really don’t see it being about me. I still have a commitment to provide the dogs and cats attention when they require it. Tigger is very aloof with me but still a nice cat. Charlie gets a lot of attention from me but when he wants to be left alone I do just that. Doggies are down for attention every time I come down the stairs.

:heart_eyes_cat::+1::rainbow:

1 Like

When I had a ham I just liked watching him live his life and made sure he got out to run around and eat well. He was a special gentle little dude. I made sure he had tons of bedding to make his own burrows like he would of in the wild.

1 Like

I like paying attention to my cat but sometimes she just meows at me for no reason

1 Like

My bird doesn’t give me attention but I give it to him and he rewards me by making me laugh with his head bobbing to the mirror and chirping and singing so nicely :blush:

1 Like

Dogs are a lot of work, I’ve failed to properly take care of my dog on my own. I have my brother and mom helping me, and its more of a family dog now. I wouldn’t have gotten her if I thought I couldn’t handle her…but they got another dog, and two dogs at once is hard on me. I can’t take one for a walk without taking the other and its hard on my knees and wrists.

The truth of the matter is I’m a failure.

1 Like

There is no limit to the amount of attention I need from my dog. She sits on my lap a lot at night. Cuddles up to me in bed. She brings a lot of comfort and happiness. A dog is hard work though. And it took me time to adjust to one. Especially when they are in the puppy phase.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.